What leds do you use on your pov projects

Post here to discuss the 8x85 RGB LED POV Display.

Moderators: Chuckt, Garth, bitfogav

Digg
decided to stick around...
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

What leds do you use on your pov projects

Post by Digg » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:02 pm

What leds do you use? My yellow and White dont mix right. Also in your other pov it looks like you have smaller ones. I want a higher reselution so I would prefer those.
-Digg-

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:02 am

Hi, I think 5mm RGB leds are better, you can get square PIRANHA RGB but they tend to display the light around the base of the led aswell. I think personally 5mm RGB diffused work well.. :) but im sure Brad will tell you what he used and his opinion.. :)

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: What leds do you use on your pov projects

Post by brad » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:52 am

Digg wrote:What leds do you use? My yellow and White dont mix right. Also in your other pov it looks like you have smaller ones. I want a higher reselution so I would prefer those.
-Digg-
I use 5mm common cathode diffused RGB LED's

MAKE SURE YOU USE DIFFUSED!!! otherwise there is no 'substance' to hold onto the colour when it is spinning. (if that makes sense)

To get higher resolution in the same area, you would definately want to go for some small surface mount or possible some 3mm RGB LED's (but I dont know if they even exist?)

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:52 am

This is probably useless info but if you cant get diffused LEDs then you can get a spray, If you have LEDs in a clear package you can diffuse them using Plasti-Kote Glass Frosting spray, obviously this maybe called something different in your area? but this works quite well but don't spray the LEDs until they've been assembled in the jig otherwise as you build the jig you can rub the coating off the sides of the LEDs. :)

heres a website..
http://www.plasti-kote.co.uk/Product/pc ... ode---3620

If you go to "Where to buy" on the website, apparently its available worldwide!! :D

Digg

If you find some LEDs

Post by Digg » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:03 pm

The ones I have are from radioshack. They are 5mm defused. I would like to enlarge the design to 16+ LEDs. But the 5mm LEDs don't give a good resolution. So I want to go smaller but have not found any that are smaller. If someone can find some small rgb LEDs or an led bar of some sort it would be a great help.
-digg-

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:22 pm

bitfogav wrote:This is probably useless info but if you cant get diffused LEDs then you can get a spray, If you have LEDs in a clear package you can diffuse them using Plasti-Kote Glass Frosting spray, obviously this maybe called something different in your area? but this works quite well but don't spray the LEDs until they've been assembled in the jig otherwise as you build the jig you can rub the coating off the sides of the LEDs. :)

heres a website..
http://www.plasti-kote.co.uk/Product/pc ... ode---3620

If you go to "Where to buy" on the website, apparently its available worldwide!! :D
That's a nifty tip, especially since I think the clear RGB LED's are cheaper than diffused.

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: If you find some LEDs

Post by brad » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:29 pm

Digg wrote:The ones I have are from radioshack. They are 5mm defused. I would like to enlarge the design to 16+ LEDs. But the 5mm LEDs don't give a good resolution. So I want to go smaller but have not found any that are smaller. If someone can find some small rgb LEDs or an led bar of some sort it would be a great help.
-digg-
Your best bet is to try and get some small surface mount LED's.

be sure to let us know if you find some cheap ones :)

TestSubject421

RGB LED POV

Post by TestSubject421 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:02 am

Here is a SMD LED that might light up an interest for you guys, I have been using these while working on a POV unrelated product.

They can reproduce a wide range of colors and are BRIGHT!, I have not had to use any heat dissipation methods with them either.

The LED's are: SML13RGB_T Series
Or look at the full product listing.
http://www.ledtronics.com/Products/Prod ... P=C421K446

Did i mention they can be a bit hard to find unless you want to buy a full reel (2,000 LED's)

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: RGB LED POV

Post by brad » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:25 am

TestSubject421 wrote:Here is a SMD LED that might light up an interest for you guys
he he, nice pun :)

thanks for the link too!

Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Chuckt » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:23 am

They don't have a price so I don't know what the quantity you would need to buy and I haven't tried them so I don't know what to tell you.

http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/151719 ... -013f.html

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:51 am

It's annoying when they dont put a price on the website.

I am guessing that they are looking for people to buy in bulk though.

waywardson07

Post by waywardson07 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:24 am

Digg wrote:The ones I have are from radioshack. They are 5mm defused. I would like to enlarge the design to 16+ LEDs. But the 5mm LEDs don't give a good resolution. So I want to go smaller but have not found any that are smaller. If someone can find some small rgb LEDs or an led bar of some sort it would be a great help.

-digg-
Hi i was wondering what the led's from radio shack you are using are called? I went to my local radio shack and they didn't know what RGB LED's were :/ so i am unable to find any locally so far..

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:36 am

I think it's unfortunate that employees at an electronics store don't know what they are!

You could try saying things like red green blue LED's or three color led's or tri-color leds. I really don't know what else you could say to them.

You could always get them online and probably save a bit of money but you would have to wait until they arrived ofcourse.

waywardson07

Post by waywardson07 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:37 am

Thanks for your reply :]]

i decided to just to drive over there and find out for myself and it turns out they do have them. they are labelled as "Full Color LED's" they seem to have a diffuser coating on them as well. The price for each is $2.99

here is a link:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... PerPage=60

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:26 pm

Wow, $2.99 each! That's expensive. You can buy them on ebay for roughly 20 cents each if you buy them in lots of 50 or 100.

here's an ebay link to a lot of 100 including resistors for under $20

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/100-pcs-5mm-RGB- ... 19c1162d38