Vulcan-74: A 6502 Retro MegaProject

Post here to let others know of a great electronic project video clip.

Moderators: Chuckt, Garth, bitfogav

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Vulcan-74: A 6502 Retro MegaProject

Post by Chuckt » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:58 pm

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Vulcan-74: A 6502 Retro MegaProject

Post by brad » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:40 am

That is just fantastic!

I still simply do not have the underlying knowledge to construct something like that. Just check out the amazingly smooth 3D animations going on with that monitor!

Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Chuckt » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:29 pm

It is just mind boggling that someone could pull that off and it is only 50% complete. I suppose they could have used a better processor and built it on a grander scale.

On another board, someone commented that in the 80's, chips were limited by the number of pins and sharing memory. The number of chips you had was limited by cost.

One of the things they see is separate memories for sprites and playfields.

One of the problems is: How do you miniaturize this? I guess if you find a chip maker, some of these ideas could possibly be put on a chip.

Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Chuckt » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:14 pm

brad wrote:That is just fantastic!

I still simply do not have the underlying knowledge to construct something like that. Just check out the amazingly smooth 3D animations going on with that monitor!

I think everyone must have missed it because a lot of people were on vacation.

http://hackaday.com/2015/08/11/vulcan-7 ... ore-165099

I think there will eventually be a write up. The second comment says:
I will be doing a dedicated website for this system, which will include schematics, PCB files, and a downloadable 300-400 page book on how every single part of the system works.

I will also include many source codes for games and demos.

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:28 pm

I guess you could miniaturise it all by using an FPGA perhaps since there have been people in the past who have emulated a complete Amiga system on an FPGA

Radical Brad

Post by Radical Brad » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:58 am

4 years later, and Vulcan-74 springs back to life!
This time it will be twice as "retro" and 4 times as large.
... and built by another dude named Brad, what are the odds?

https://www.atomiczombie.com/vulcan-74

Cheers!
Radcial Brad

Garth
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Garth » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:25 pm

Brad, how nice to see you here! There are a few 6502.org members here as well. Two who immediately come to mind are BigEd and Dr Jefyll (Jeff Laughton). I don't know how often they check in. This forum used to be more active, apparently when Brad Slattery (the owner) was having his students post projects and questions here, which he is not doing at the moment. That's my understanding anyway. Hopefully it will come back to life.
http://WilsonMinesCo.com/ lots of 6502 resources

Radical Brad

Post by Radical Brad » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:57 pm

Thanks, I will have to keep it bookmarked for sure!
I will post any updates I manage to do on my huge project as I get time on it.

I really am starting over on Vulcan-74, and expect it to take a few years to complete again.

The old (small) test version...

Where I am now...

Brad
Garth wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:25 pm
Brad, how nice to see you here! There are a few 6502.org members here as well. Two who immediately come to mind are BigEd and Dr Jefyll (Jeff Laughton). I don't know how often they check in. This forum used to be more active, apparently when Brad Slattery (the owner) was having his students post projects and questions here, which he is not doing at the moment. That's my understanding anyway. Hopefully it will come back to life.

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:29 pm

Hi Brad and Garth.

Unfortunately this forum is no longer the thriving community that it used to be. However this is certainly due mostly to my commitments changing. I haven't worked on any electronic projects in quite a few months now - with my latest completed project being the Digirule2 back in April 2018...

One day I hope to get back into my electronics hobby, but with five kids, a busy full-time job, house renovations, basketball coaching and Taekwondo (and spending time with my wife of course...) I just haven't had time for my site or projects. One day i'll be back though :D

However the topic of this forum is all about your project which is absolutely fantastic I must say. I am a huge fan of homebrew CPU's and computers and your latest iteration uses an incredible amount of breadboards - even the old 'small' version is huge! I'll post a link to your site on my homepage (hopefully tonight when I get home from work). I certainly look forward to seeing the progress - be sure to keep us updated here in the forum :)