Table not doing much

Post here to discuss anything to do with The Super Pong Table

Moderators: Chuckt, Garth, bitfogav

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Table not doing much

Post by brad » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:54 am

bitfogav vs brad - a battle for the correct capacitors!

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:48 pm

HaHa!. I sware I saw 22pf cap somewhere that was the recommended cap, but yeah I checked the 18F4550 datasheet and it recommends 15pf for a 20mhz crystal :lol:

I just looked at the RetroBall for the Pong table code and I think I see what you mean about your delays Brad? you are using the programme loop to decrease the delays.

Code: Select all

If DisplayIndividualScoreDelay(x) <> 0 Then
      Dec(DisplayIndividualScoreDelay(x))
Else
      DisplayIndividualScoreDelay(x) = 20
      DisplayIndividualScore(x) = false
EndIf

If DisplayScorePauseTimer <> 0 Then
      Dec(DisplayScorePauseTimer)
Else
      DisplayScorePauseTimer = 100
      DisplayScore = false
EndIf
If you don't know what Voltage your country is using, you shouldn't be doing electronics ;-)

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by brad » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:14 am

Yeah I could have / should have made the delay routines nicer to use but I'm afraid I am a little bit lazy when it comes to coding sometimes :)

cnribbens
decided to stick around...

Post by cnribbens » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:00 am

Ok I made the board, but didn´t connect it yet! A small question about the schematic of bitfogav, why are there an `1´ and a ´2´ in the schematic?

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:17 am

Can you be abit more specific to what you mean by 1 and 2? I guess you mean Osc1 and Osc2? if this is the case then if you look at the datasheet for the 18F4550 its shows the pin connections as Osc1 and Osc2?. But I would add, that it dont make any difference if you connect Osc1 of the microcontroller to Osc2 of the Crystal circuit or vise versa.

This is a image from the datasheet - (ignore the resistor in the schematic as this is not needed)
18f4550data.jpg
18f4550data.jpg (18.75 KiB) Viewed 21619 times
If you don't know what Voltage your country is using, you shouldn't be doing electronics ;-)

cnribbens

Post by cnribbens » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:21 am

I mean the 1 and 2 in yellow near the crystal and lines after caps.

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:38 am

Oh them, they are just symbols that are automatically inserted with the schematic software. sorry if they have caused any confusion.
hacky%20add%20on%20board.jpg
hacky%20add%20on%20board.jpg (6.76 KiB) Viewed 21616 times

cnribbens

Post by cnribbens » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:03 pm

Ok good to know bitfogav!!!

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:28 pm

Also be mindful that ideally you want to keep the connection between the oscillator circuitry and the PIC pins as short as possible.

cnribbens

Post by cnribbens » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:19 am

Ok, I made the wires really short and placed everything together and connected the add-on board to his big brother. And no weird stuff is going on. I can still play the game and no change ofcourse. The magic will happen with the new code :mrgreen:

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:35 pm

Sorry for the delay with this. I spent all day today working on our new deck. I will get to it hopefully this year!

cnribbens

Post by cnribbens » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:14 am

Yeah cool! not in a hurry, merry christmas and best wishes !! :P

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:02 pm

Merry Christmas right back at ya!

cnribbens

Post by cnribbens » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:09 am

The table is still working so that's a good sign. Still some flickering without the code update, but it's still a cool end result!!!

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:49 pm

I do apologise for not having it done yet - obviously I didn't get it done by the end of last year...

Once all this PICnDuino stuff settles down I will have some spare time - it's crazy trying to organise orders for nearly 700 people! (especially when 150 of them fill out there orders incorrectly so they don't match the funds they send through...)