new tutorial

Post here to discuss the PIC microcontroller tutorials.

Moderators: Chuckt, Garth, bitfogav

1kiko1
Can't get enough of electronics!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

new tutorial

Post by 1kiko1 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:32 am

hello brad

i was wondering if you can make a tutorial on how to make a source code or write a source and make my own game with the microcontroller.
because i have no clue how to write a source code or understand it if you dont want to make a tutorial can you please explain it to me or teach me how

Thanks

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: new tutorial

Post by brad » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:51 am

That would be one big tutorial!

You would really need to take that in stages I think (a series of tutorials)

Once things settle down for us here (due to moving house and renovating etc...) I will perhaps look at making some beginner tutorials into making games with swordfish basic. I have now moved on from programming in assembly. Basic is easier to understand and you can make games more easily :D

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:36 am

Can I just add, that is much easier to use the PIC peripherals in Swordfish basic too.. and if you want to learn how to write source code then there is alots of information on the internet, or even books that will help you, thats how I started by reading books :)

1kiko1

Post by 1kiko1 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:46 am

thanks

1kiko1

Post by 1kiko1 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:50 am

by any chance like what books do u recommend me to read or the title of a book

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:05 am

Well first of all I would recommend looking into the Basic programming language (swordfish basic) its alot easier to learn than the Assembly language.

Check out this website for swordfish basic, you can download a free version of the compiler, And I would definitely download the swordfish language guide. The guide will also help you learn the swordfish basic language.
http://www.sfcompiler.co.uk/swordfish/d ... umentation

Then you could try this website which will show you some of the basics of the language and code examples, there are some good tutorials here too:
http://digital-diy.com/Table/Swordfish- ... -Examples/

1kiko1

Post by 1kiko1 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:03 am

thanks

and lets say i learn the language and i want to write one where do i write the source code. swordfish,mplab WHAT?
where do i write the sourcecode

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:08 am

Download the swordfish compiler from here:
http://www.sfcompiler.co.uk/swordfish/d ... umentation

and you write the code in the swordfish compiler:
swordfishWriteCode1.jpg
swordfishWriteCode1.jpg (59.85 KiB) Viewed 27740 times

1kiko1

Post by 1kiko1 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:26 am

thanks

sdudley

Post by sdudley » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:17 am

I don't know guys...

That stuff looks pretty "BASIC" to me! :lol:
Any time you deviate from sequential consistency, you increase the complexity of the problem by orders of magnitude.

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:23 pm

sdudley wrote:I don't know guys...

That stuff looks pretty "BASIC" to me! :lol:
One day Stacy, One Day!

sdudley

Post by sdudley » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:47 pm

brad wrote:One day Stacy, One Day!
I think you are going to hate me...

I just purchased the "C" course we discussed quite some time ago!

http://www.best-microcontroller-project ... orial.html

I couldn't help myself. He sent me an email to get it for 1/2 price - $33.00. I figured what the heck, I'll check it out! :wink:

I really need to learn C language anyway.

Stacy
Any time you deviate from sequential consistency, you increase the complexity of the problem by orders of magnitude.

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:00 pm

Ahh that's fine :)

I'm glad you're looking into it actually, because you can give me some pointers once you've learned it!

sdudley

Post by sdudley » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:13 pm

brad wrote:Ahh that's fine :)

I'm glad you're looking into it actually, because you can give me some pointers once you've learned it!
Pointers... oh, I get it...

Stacy

sdudley

Post by sdudley » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:51 am

Just in case you didn't understand my joke Brad - Pointers are used quite a bit in C programming (not sure if you use pointers in Basic).

Anyway...

I wish I had saved my money from the best-microntroller projects course and just bought these books instead:

http://www.elproducts.com/

Volumes 1 and 2 use the PICKit 2 starter kit that I purchased a long time ago.

The best-microcontroller projects require quite a bit of additional hardware and the website is really confusing to navigate through. These projects also do all the programming through the serial port while the book by ChuckHellebuyck is all done with the PICKit 2.

Stacy