language

Post here to discuss the PIC microcontroller tutorials.

Moderators: Chuckt, Garth, bitfogav

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
1kiko1
Can't get enough of electronics!
Can't get enough of electronics!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

language

Post by 1kiko1 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:57 am

hey brad

can i use programming language C to program PIC microcontrollers and develop apps or is there different languages for each

what language did u use to develop your app

sdudley
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: language

Post by sdudley » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:16 pm

You cannot use C for programming 8 bit Microchip controllers. There "might" be a third party C compiler available that will compile to the 8 bit Microchips, but none that I know of personally.

Microchip has a C compiler available for the 16 bit and 32 bit microcontrollers. Here is a "quick guide" to some of their development tools and it explains a little more about the C compiler they offer (called Hi-Tech C).

http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/D ... 51894a.pdf

Stacy
Any time you deviate from sequential consistency, you increase the complexity of the problem by orders of magnitude.

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:21 pm

Sorry for being so late to the discussion!

You can program 8-bit pics in C. (Come on Stacy - what you talkin' about!)

Check out this link for help with programming an 18f4550

http://www.pic18f.com/18f4550-c-tutoria ... gram-in-c/

Garth
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Garth » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:24 pm

I'm all the more late to the discussion.

The PIC16's (at least those before PIC16F1's) were very poorly suited to C. There were just too many problems with it. It's possible Microchip or a third party tried to make a C compiler for them (I don't know), but I imagine it would have some pretty severe limitations. The PIC18's added a lot of things (kludges actually, but they worked) to the PIC16's to make an 8-bit PIC that was better suited for C. However, I think assembly language, with a good set of macros to raise the level of the language, is as desirable as C, if not more so, for the applications the PIC16's tend to get used for.

The PIC18's, 24's, and 32's are much better suited to C than the 16's.
http://WilsonMinesCo.com/ lots of 6502 resources