Using FPGA to create Video Signals

Post here to discuss generating video signals.

Moderators: Chuckt, Garth, bitfogav

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Using FPGA to create Video Signals

Post by Chuckt » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:51 am

I'm sorry this is not a Microchip Pic but you can use FPGAs to create video signals to generate a video signal:

http://www.fpga4fun.com/PongGame.html

You can use FPGAs with Microchip Pics if you want and combine the two.

See my other post on "VHDL Tutorial from University of Pennsylvania" for extra help learning VDHL.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=351

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Using FPGA to create Video Signals

Post by brad » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:09 am

Must have missed this post!

You have got me quite interested in FPGA's and have now being toing a bit of reading up on them. I like what this guy has done especially - he created a custom driver for this led display using an FPGA:

Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Chuckt » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:58 am

I know how easy it is for me to get side tracked when I see a project because I always see another one and another one. I remember seeing something but I don't remember seeing that project. I don't know if people will be interested in different things so I try not to take them to the next level. So I'm sorry if I missed that project.

On another note about LEDS; I was at the Wells Fargo Center because I had free tickets and they had an LED sign that wraps around the whole inside of the stadium which covers the stands and the basketball court. I couldn't comprehend what it took to make it work. It must have been a lot of work.

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:03 am

I think alot of us are like that - being in the middle of one project and thinking of another cool project and then another...

I am in that place right now, I have been working on a project with Stacy, plus I have had the coffee table and super pixel bros and I have been thinking of a new pov project and an updated RGB Coffee table - SOO MANY PROJECTS!

We just got back from vacation and leaving the airport was a huge RGB LED display, I don't think I could solder all those LED's to the board in under a year.

I also wonder about what happens if an LED goes short, because that has happened to me on my matrix's and it turns on an entire column. You then need to replace the shorted LED with a new one.

Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Chuckt » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:13 pm

brad wrote: You have got me quite interested in FPGA's and have now being toing a bit of reading up on them. I like what this guy has done especially - he created a custom driver for this led display using an FPGA:
It might be possible to program an FPGA to emulate a PIC 16f648a and there may be room on the FPGA for other emulation and code. I've searched a little but haven't found anything. It would let you keep doing what you're doing but on a different platform. It is only an idea to expand on the PIC16f648a that I'm not capable of doing yet.

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:25 pm

People have emulated entire computers on an FPGA (like the commodore amiga) Now that would take some skill :D

Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Chuckt » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:11 am

Simple VGA interface for tiny FPGA boards
He prototyped a 512-color VGA interface board which worked just fine
As you can see on his site, the adapter works quite well, allowing the FPGA to put out a crisp 800×600 image with little fuss. [devb] has also posted all of his design files on his site in Eagle format for anyone interested in replicating his work.
http://hackaday.com/2011/06/02/simple-v ... ga-boards/

http://devbisme.webfactional.com/blogs/ ... fpga-board

This sounds like a plan! 512 colors and 800x600 is something I'm seriously considering studying. This looks like the same manufacturer of the FPGA in the Gameduino.

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:53 pm

The good thing with VGA is that you have separate RGB outputs. Whereas with composite you need to have some fancy coding or converter circuitry to get it to actually display color.

Keep us updated on your progress Chuck!

Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Chuckt » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:53 pm

I managed to get the files for the VGA to breadboard connector. Either the files are attached or I have to load them into Eagle and generate the Gerber files which I haven't done before.
XuLA_VGA_layout.png
XuLA_VGA_layout.png (14.12 KiB) Viewed 28471 times
On another note, my Gameduino came today. I have to work on finishing the joystick and pcb that it sits on in order for me to really use it.

Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Chuckt » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:54 pm

1952273.jpg
1952273.jpg (6.64 KiB) Viewed 28463 times
This part is on clearance at Jameco. It is part # 1952273. It is the one in the project for the board.