Mod VGA

Post here to discuss generating video signals.

Moderators: Chuckt, Garth, bitfogav

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Mod VGA

Post by Chuckt » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:31 am

MOD-VGA is based on the popular Gameduino design. The little changes we made were to add a PS2 keyboard, a UEXT connector which allows all of our boards with a UEXT to connect to MOD-VGA and audio output. Also, we made a version with 32MB of SDRAM which allows higher resolutions than the original Gameduino design.
FEATURES
XILINX Spartan XC3S200A
PS2 Keyboard connector
Audio connector
VGA connector
Male UEXT connector plus 10 pin cable for it
Ready Arduino software support
Mounted Arduino headers
FR-4, 1.5 mm, green soldermask, white print
PCB dimensions: 55.88 x 53.34 mm (2.2 x 2.1")
https://www.olimex.com/Products/Modules/Video/MOD-VGA/

This is an Arduino shield.

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Mod VGA

Post by brad » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:50 pm

That is fantastic Chuck. One thing I have to say that I am sad about is that VGA is supposed to be phased out within the next few years. The unfortunate thing here is that it then forces the hobbyists to work with harder to work with video standards like HDMI for instance. You also need a faster processor to get it all to work.

It would be great if VGA could stick around for ever :)

Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Chuckt » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:47 am

brad wrote:That is fantastic Chuck. One thing I have to say that I am sad about is that VGA is supposed to be phased out within the next few years. The unfortunate thing here is that it then forces the hobbyists to work with harder to work with video standards like HDMI for instance. You also need a faster processor to get it all to work.

It would be great if VGA could stick around for ever :)
I posted this back in 2010 and I can't believe I've been here this long:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=305&hilit=vga+five ... rs+to+live

This article was dated on 12/9/10 so I believe we have until maybe the end of this year and we won't find VGA very much anymore so this is the time to buy a VGA monitor or two if you want to have a VGA monitor:

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/VGA- ... 1291926599

The reality is that you have to buy one before they are gone or else it may be too late. It is possible that someone will produce it but at what price?

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:41 pm

Sorry for the late reply Chuck. I have been quite caught up with my Kickstarter campaign.

I do remember you posting that, I just can't believe that it was long ago!

Time really does fly. It just keeps nagging me in the back of my mind that perhaps electronics for the hobbyists will become either too hard (because we no longer have simple chips and devices to work with like standard TTL chips, ps2 keyboards / mice, VGA ports etc...) or it might get a bit boring because companies might have to make everything for us and we just do a little bit of boring programming without really getting down to the nuts and bolts of the circuitry.

Who knows...

Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Chuckt » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:25 am

I still see VGA inputs in other monitors and I see hobby monitors with VGA and there are other offerings.

When we bought a high definition HDTV years ago, it had a lot more composite inputs. We got a bigger one some years later and it has only one composite input so I had to find composite to HDMI adapters for the Wii and Wii U.

VGA was pretty popular so I think there will be adapters and VGA inputs for it for a few years to come and then I think it will go the way of way of the dinosaur according to supply and demand unless people still use it but it seems to be more prevalent in Europe.

People are still buying Amiga computers on Ebay so I think we will find the older technology on Ebay for quite some time although used.

Garth
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Garth » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:54 am

I still do some of my work on a DOS machine, and I recently tried a flat-panel monitor with the intension of saving on the electric bill, but the newer monitor would not do 1024x768. It didn't have anything between 640x480 (which most people think DOS is locked to) and maybe 1200 or more dots across, so I am still using the hi-res CRT monitor.
http://WilsonMinesCo.com/ lots of 6502 resources

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:37 pm

I still have my Amiga1200 (although not set up) :)

I also have very fond memories of a 15" monitor that I had saved up for back in the early 90's - I couldn't believe how huge the screen was and I think I could get up to 800x600 out of it :)