PICnDuino defect?

A place to discuss the dual microcontroller development board.

Moderators: Chuckt, Garth, bitfogav

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Karsten
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

PICnDuino defect?

Post by Karsten » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:18 am

Hello,

I have a problem with one of my boards:
I got two of the PICnDuions, and atm i am glad i went for two:

First i tried the red one, and didn't get it to work (Win-7):
The Board is recognised in the device manager, and shows no errors there,
but both the Amicus and the Arduino fail to upload
(the Amicus sometimes asks for the reset button, the arduino gives the "no_sync" error).

After some searching i think this might be a communications problem
So: I deleted and re-installed the drivers, ran the update, but to no avail.
It's still shown in the devices, but no communication.

I was almost going for another round of re-installing/updating/etc. but then i tried the other (black) board.
And hey presto: it runs smoothly. Uploading to both chips works and all is well (tried the blink, fade, and "hello world").
Went back to the red, and still nothing... :-(

Today i tried it on my laptop running XP: same result, the black works fine, the red doesn't!

Questions to the developers:
a) can you pinpoint me to the cause of this problem?
b) if so, how can i easily fix it? (can it be fixed/ is it the FTDI-USB, as both chips are affected?)
c) if not, can i get another one? (i read in the other thread, that you have some spares...)

Any input to a) locate the malfunction and/or b) fix it greatly appreciated.
And as for c) i might even want another one even if i can fix it!

Greetings from Germany

Karsten.

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: PICnDuino defect?

Post by brad » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:24 pm

Hi Karsten sorry for the late reply and also sorry to hear that one of the PICnDuino's isn't working for you.

If both microcontrollers aren't working then I guess that would lead you to it either being some sort of power supply fault or perhaps the FTDI chip.

I will send you a PM.

Karsten

Post by Karsten » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:46 pm

Hi brad,

(thanks for the pm.)

that was my initial guess (the FTDI).
The black board runs on the very same USB-ports and with the same cables (i tried several ports/cables).

In case some others have the same problems (i hope not, but...) i tried a few things to pinpoint the problem:

As regarding power-failure: the red board has the power led on, and also has the (blue) arduino-led blinking,
which i found out, means, that it has got the bootloader alright, and power too.

some more infos from me (just noticed)
on plugging the board into the usb: (switch set to atmega)
- the (green) tx-led flashes three times
- the power led goes on
- the (blue) led-13 flashes a code, before going to the standard blinking:
afaics its mostly: 1-1-3-2-2-2-3, but sometimes only 1-3-2-2-2-3 (and also others)
(the code seems to vary a bit with the times between unplugging and replugging)

- with the switch set to PIC its only a single flash before blinking

hth,

Karsten

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:19 am

Thankyou very much for the info there Karsten!