Super Pixel Bros Pcb improvement

Post Here To Discuss The Super Pixel Bros Video Game

Moderators: Chuckt, Garth, bitfogav

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Taylor
semi-newbie
semi-newbie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Super Pixel Bros Pcb improvement

Post by Taylor » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:04 am

Hello Brad

Super pixel bros is an amazing system game 8x8 RGB and i saw video about it

i'm just asking my self why you did not use one Integrated circuit instead of three(74373) to drive the 8x8 Rgb Matrix LED

The way that i'm thinking for this one because we can reduce the part list, for example if we use TLC5947 from Texas Instruments(24-Channel, 12-Bit PWM LED Driver with Internal Oscillator) 4096 steps for pwm this not bad it's very nice i think the current version of hardware SPB can get 256 Steps Pwm?

With this IC we can limit the current with ONE external resistor it will be usefull because we will not use a resistor for each led in the matrix it's amazing One external resistor Against 24 x 150 Ohm Surface Mount Resistors !!!

So Brad what do you think about this?

Taylor.

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Super Pixel Bros Pcb improvement

Post by brad » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:45 pm

That is a fantastic idea, in fact, I was thinking of all these options when designing the circuit board! great minds think alike :)

However, it basically came down to cost. I can purchase those resistors for less than 1cent each and those 74373's cost 2c each! (I bought them in bulk)

so for around about 30cents I could have all the parts to drive the LED matrix whereas the TLC5947 chip (on ebay) is around about $12 each.

But you are right, it is a fantastic chip :)

Taylor
semi-newbie
semi-newbie

Post by Taylor » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:40 pm

yes you are right the TLC5947 is very expensive instead of 74hc373 but it's easy to implement it in the board

ok man i understand it's just my idea i like the game and i think i'll buy it very soon

anyaway thank you brad about this information

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:46 pm

I would hold off on buying that one just for the moment, I am very soon about to start up a kickstarter campaign with a new LED game system. This one will be less than $10 :)

Taylor
semi-newbie
semi-newbie

Post by Taylor » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:29 pm

it's okay brad

i'm working also on 8x8 rgb system i'm done with the hardware (1x matrix 8x8 led) (3x 74hc595) (1xULN2804A) µc i'll use 18F4620 i'll post the source code very soon

can you tell me please if it's not secret the size of your system led game? i'm mean 8x8 or 16x16...

Taylor

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:22 pm

Sorry for the late reply.

Great video by the way! I would be interested in seeing the code - does that animation run from a database with the graphic data or is it some fancy code that you used to generate the graphics without the need for a database?

My new game design is another 8x8 version. I will be launching it on kickstarter within about a month.

Taylor
semi-newbie
semi-newbie

Post by Taylor » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:49 am

for the moment i use a data base an array saved in the memory of my micro controller executed in a loop and the data is sent through the SPI hardware of PIC16F876A

let me just to finish the pcb and i'll post the source code in C