Monofonic Audio Chip

Post Here To Discuss The Super Pixel Bros Video Game

Moderators: Chuckt, Garth, bitfogav

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
bitfogav

Monofonic Audio Chip

Post by bitfogav » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:00 am

Hi Brad, Can I just say that your new Super Pixel Bros game sytem looks fantastic!, nice job :)

I have a question, I see there is a 12F617 microcontroller on the board is this the Monofonic Audio Chip? Or what is its purpose? :)

1kiko1
Can't get enough of electronics!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Parts List

Post by 1kiko1 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:34 am

hello brad i wanted to ask you is the Monofonic Audio Chip a pic12f617 and is it the same as a 12f615

*edited by bitfogav* merged post - has message was same topic.

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Monofonic Audio Chip

Post by brad » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:14 am

Yes it is the monofonic audio chip (thanks to Stacy!)

these chips will be available from iteadstudio very soon = )

(you can program them yourself although it is quite hard because the pickit2 doesnt support them)

1kiko1

Post by 1kiko1 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:03 pm

thanks

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:14 am

brad wrote:Yes it is the monofonic audio chip (thanks to Stacy!)

these chips will be available from iteadstudio very soon = )

(you can program them yourself although it is quite hard because the pickit2 doesnt support them)

So I guess you have a hex file for the monofonic chip Brad?, The pickit3 will programme 12F617.

sdudley

Post by sdudley » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:56 am

The PICKit 2 does support the 12F615/17 but it is a bit of work to do so. I will get some information up when I get a chance to dig around and remember how I did it. MPLab does not support direct programming to the chip when coding, so you need to run the compiler then program it via the HEX file as bitfogav suggested.

As far as the MonoFonic audio chip goes, I will also try and put together a tutorial on how I make music with a PIC but it's pretty involved so it might take some time to try and explain it. Currently I have several Mario Bro's songs, some TETRIS songs, and a hand full of sound effects.

I had planned on making several different audio chips and a small project/experimental board for people who are interested, but I did a little research and found that Parallax has quite a bit of stuff dedicated to the same idea and it's all in BASIC.

Since everyone here has abandoned assembly programming for the PIC, I decided it's probably not worth the effort.

Stacy
Any time you deviate from sequential consistency, you increase the complexity of the problem by orders of magnitude.

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:23 am

Thanks Stacy for the info :)
brad wrote: 12F617 microntroller (you can program them yourself although it is quite hard because the pickit2 doesnt support them)
Brad, Just out of interest have you tried downloading the latest Device File from Microchip for the Pickit2, Ive not got a 12F617 handy so i cant try it but was wondering if that would make the 12F617 compatible with Pickit2?

Heres the latest Device File from microchip for the Pickit2 application version 2.61
PK2DFUpdate-1-62-09.zip
(20.66 KiB) Downloaded 798 times
I think you need to copy the file into the Directory where the Pickit2 application runs from :)

Heres the link to the device file on microchip:
http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcpl ... e=en023805

sdudley

Post by sdudley » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:18 am

Bitfogav,

I believe you are right that the latest device file has support for the 12f609/615/617. If not, here is the link to the Microchip forums where I was given information on how to edit the device file to add a new PIC device.

http://www.microchip.com/forums/tm.aspx ... gh=sdudley

Stacy
Any time you deviate from sequential consistency, you increase the complexity of the problem by orders of magnitude.