Arduino LCD and Potentiometer Writing

Post here to discuss all things Arduino!

Moderators: Chuckt, Garth, bitfogav

Saimaster13
I practically live here!
I practically live here!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Arduino LCD and Potentiometer Writing

Post by Saimaster13 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:42 am

Well, I made it in a day, that day ran into the next day though. Let's see... from my first half working code, to the completed condensed code, it probably took 6 or 7 hours. Thanks for helping me condense the code by the way, its almost twice as small now! Youtube video would probably be a good idea, I'll get to it when I have the time, and a video camera which is not currently at my house.

Note: Code re-updated, minor changes
Last edited by Saimaster13 on Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Joshua

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by brad » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:48 am

No problem.

Isn't it great how you can do exactly the same thing, but with less code! It's a great learning excercise :)

Saimaster13
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Saimaster13 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:33 am

Video demonstration.

Note: It is hard to see, but the top row starts out as all underscores, not spaces.
Basic functionality: The top row starts as all underscores, in the bottom left corner it shows the current character of the potentiometer and to the right of that character it states whether it is receiving new characters or it is done. (I just noticed receiving is spelled wrong on the LCD, going to make changes to it now)

Pressing the button writes the currently selected character to the top row. It is not done writing until all of the characters are filled up.
Joshua

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:17 pm

That is a really great idea!

I may actually have to borrow that for a project later down the track. It's such a great way to allow user input without the need for a full fledged keyboard!

Well done!

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:19 pm

Yeah great work!, such a simple idea but one that is very effective.. This may also come in handy for a Clock/Time project ive been working on using a mcp79410 RRTC chip :)
If you don't know what Voltage your country is using, you shouldn't be doing electronics ;-)

Saimaster13
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Saimaster13 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:36 pm

Glad you like it guys, feel free to use it!
Joshua