Table not doing much

Post here to discuss anything to do with The Super Pong Table

Moderators: Chuckt, Garth, bitfogav

cnribbens
decided to stick around...
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Table not doing much

Post by cnribbens » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:28 pm

I first started looking for dark acrylic, but everything was crazy expensive (100 dollars for a small piece), so white instead. And I even think white is probably better, makes the table a little more light/happy.

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by brad » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:34 am

$100 a piece seems a bit expensive. However, the white acrylic looks great!

Saimaster13
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Saimaster13 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:17 am

I found some dark tinted acrylic at Home Depot for pretty cheap, $25 for a nice sized piece. It is more of a slightly dark tint, but with the protective cover on it it diffuses lights nicely. I plan on using it for an 8x8 gaming thing, kind of like Retroball.
Joshua

cnribbens

Post by cnribbens » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:14 am

Well we don´t have Home Depots in the Netherlands, hahaha :D

And the dark tinted piece was really thick so I guess that also increases the price.

Saimaster13
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Saimaster13 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:16 am

Ahh...
Joshua

cnribbens

Post by cnribbens » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:11 am

And we have progress, the screen works so that´s cool and the acrylic really helps.

I still need to swap + and - for two potentiometers. And because of the extra layers of paint the glass doesn't fit anymore :oops: so I'll fix that with a dremel. And then we have a working retroball custom build!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

And it indeed flickers, but that's the next step with the crystal!

So here's a movie :!:

http://s303.beta.photobucket.com/user/W ... 0.mp4.html

cnribbens

Post by cnribbens » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:22 pm

Ok, so I fixed the controls, placed everything together and the glass now fits. And the pong game is really cool, brad!!! So much better than the early instructables version

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:56 pm

Any chance of a video of how it runs?

I might have to wait to look into fixing the flicker problem for over my Christmas break. Will let you know how it goes though :)

cnribbens

Post by cnribbens » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:28 pm

So here a video of the latest state of the table.

I'm not really in a hurry, because now I don't have have a whole bunch of parts lying around. I'm already happy that you want to take the time to fix the code. So thumbs up!

I'll buy a crystal at my local electronics shop 20 mhz and I already have some caps lying around. So I'll make the hacky crystall add on board following the schematic of bitfogav

BTW I saw in the code there's also a speaker/sound in the retroball version. Are you just generating beeps? Or did you have special sound samples? because if they are only beeps I could add a speaker to an extension port on the board and the table would even have sound than :P Jst let me know, I probably have some speaker lying around.

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:57 pm

Those blue LED's look really nice :)

I can't notice the flicker in the video - is it worse in real life?

also, make sure your caps are 15pF

cnribbens

Post by cnribbens » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:02 pm

The flickering is not horrible, but in real life in some parts you really notice it. In the video it looks perfect :lol:

Yeah I´ll take 15pf caps!

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:16 pm

Just don't let anyone on youtube know that it flickers :)

cnribbens

Post by cnribbens » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:35 am

The add-on board shouldn´t take long :p I see that Brad mentions 15 pf and bitfogav 22pf. I have both so I can choose :P I ordered the crystal, so it will be here soon. Also ordered some heat shrinking tubing to make it pretty and safe.

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:44 pm

22pf will be the limit for a 20Mhz crystal, but the recommended cap from the datasheet is a 15pf cap.. :)
If you don't know what Voltage your country is using, you shouldn't be doing electronics ;-)

cnribbens

Post by cnribbens » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:08 am

Okay 15pf it is. Tomorrow I'll receive the crystal. The only hard part is solering it on the chip.