RetroBall - LED Matrix signal problem?

Post here to discuss anything to do with The Super Pong Table

Moderators: Chuckt, Garth, bitfogav

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
State
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

RetroBall - LED Matrix signal problem?

Post by State » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:19 pm

Hey,

i try to build the beautiful great amazing magical retroball game.

Got all together and i have sound but the display does not show anything.

Tested each P10 matrix display with an arduino and it worked.

Measured the Display A and B pins and found that there is only a pixel signal (R) for Display B ... it's likely that the start screen has only content on Display B ... so this is plausible. [s]But on CLK (coming from pin 23 of the PIC) there is nothing ... i think this is the problem.[/s] (found that this was a timing issue between logic analyzer and PIC, CLK is same duration high as on the working arduino signal) A and B looks like it should. SCLK is shortly high on every change on A/B ... looks right. nOE does never change ... thats ok?

Attached the capture of display b ... but i think all interesting information is already in the text (file for saleae logic https://www.saleae.com/downloads )

Where should i continue searching the problem?

Sorry edited this post often cause i found out new things ...
Now i think the problem is that nOE does not change ... in the code it looks like it should change ... currently investigating ...

I have enough parts to do a second board ... but first i would like to understand what could have gone wrong ... not that i burned someting and burn it on the second board again.

Capture was too big for attaching: https://mega.nz/#!iBdRxKAB!HQofmHRltkj2 ... Lm0KjE5fwU
Capture from working signal from arduino with freetronics library: https://mega.nz/#!jUtBibRI!xkeIWk1vZE21 ... 4a_A2NkuKQ
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-11-24 at 19.53.23.png
logic analyzer capture of display b pin header with extra delay for CLK
Screen Shot 2015-11-24 at 19.53.23.png (30.63 KiB) Viewed 14176 times

State
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: RetroBall - LED Matrix signal problem?

Post by State » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:37 am

looooool :D :D :D

solved.

brad!!!!! your gerber files (in the zip from http://www.bradsprojects.com/retroball- ... pong-game/ ) are missing a trace from pin 25 of the 18F25K20 to the nOE pin (pin 1) of the display headers.
cost me 1 day ;) but learned much in this time :)

bugfix and the relevant parts of the wrong top / bottom gerber attached.

will post some photos of the completed build later in another thread.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-11-24 at 20.41.23.png
no trace from pin 1 on both display connections ;) and nothing from pin 25 of the PIC (top row, 4. pin)
Screen Shot 2015-11-24 at 20.41.23.png (30.25 KiB) Viewed 14176 times
Screen Shot 2015-11-24 at 20.40.54.png
no trace from pin 1 on both display connections ;)
Screen Shot 2015-11-24 at 20.40.54.png (13.28 KiB) Viewed 14176 times
IMG_0170.JPG
fix
IMG_0170.JPG (84.76 KiB) Viewed 14176 times
IMG_0169.JPG
fix
IMG_0169.JPG (109.74 KiB) Viewed 14176 times

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: RetroBall - LED Matrix signal problem?

Post by brad » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:18 pm

I am very sorry for being so late to reply, I could have told you the problem straight away if I had checked here a week ago! Sorry about that...

But it is great to see that you found the issue - it can be very rewarding to get into some troubleshooting and find that you can fix it yourself. I will have to upload the new set of gerber files so that this is fixed for others who want to build it themselves.

Good job with fixing it and thank you for posting so that others can see what you had done!