Where's the swordfish community?

Post here to discuss programming with swordfish basic

Moderators: Chuckt, Garth, bitfogav

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
brad
Site Admin
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Where's the swordfish community?

Post by brad » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:31 pm

I have been wondering a little bit lately "What happened to the swordfish community?"

It almost seems non-existent. The SF forum is all but dead, digital-diy swordfish forum is basically the same. And well, bradsprojects swordfish forum is not so flash either!

Is swordfish slowly fading away? I wonder how many people out there still code with swordfish basic.

I know I made a post a while ago that Arduino (using microcode studio) is now my favourite to program in, but I have to retract that statement. I still have to say that swordfish is my number 1. It is so nice to code in, everything flows nicely.

Is firewing gaining in popularity? I have used it a little, but in my opinion it still doesn't live up to the brilliance of swordfish.

Any thoughts / comments?

bitfogav

Re: Where's the swordfish community?

Post by bitfogav » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:27 pm

The forum's I check regularly all seem to be quite quiet, I often see Jon at digital-diy encourage people to make post's and join digital-diy. I don't think its just Swordfish.

Arduino forum seems to be one of the busiest I know, but I put that down to the fact that the syntax is close to the C language and C seems to be the "general-purpose programming language".

Swordfish is still my number 1 too, even though I have ventured into other programming language's of late.

That's just some of my personal thoughts..
If you don't know what Voltage your country is using, you shouldn't be doing electronics ;-)

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by brad » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:15 pm

Sorry for the late reply, busy week!

I'd like to see fire wing gain momentum, it is similar to swordfish - but for some reason I still like swordfish better. Maybe I'm just old fashioned - I still like windows XP better than any of the later ones. For that matter, I think I like windows 3.1 the best out of them all!

(image from wikipedia)

sdudley

Post by sdudley » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:36 pm

For that matter, I think I like windows 3.1 the best out of them all!
Windows 3.1... What's that? :?:

Is that something they had before computers existed? :|

Stacy
Any time you deviate from sequential consistency, you increase the complexity of the problem by orders of magnitude.

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:49 pm

Windows 3.1... What's that?

Is that something they had before computers existed?
It's what Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak designed the Apple I in :)

sdudley

Post by sdudley » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:22 am

Back on topic, I programmed my first little program using the PICnDuino, but I ended up using the Amicus IDE. I know you love Swordfish, but as far as the compiler interface goes, I think Amicus is a bit more polished.

Honestly, I haven't spent enough time with either to really tell much difference so I'll try and keep you posted as time goes by.

Stacy
Any time you deviate from sequential consistency, you increase the complexity of the problem by orders of magnitude.

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:52 pm

Glad to hear you're coming along with your programming - have you got any code you could show us?

Any questions we can help you with :)

sdudley

Post by sdudley » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:12 am

Sure, I will if you really want but it's extremely simple (basic flashing sequence). It's only a few lines of code. I really should have just used a small 8-bit PIC for this one but as I said before, it gave me the chance to look into programming with the PICnDuino.

Speaking of the PICnDuino, what is the status of this? Are you going to keep selling them?

Stacy

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:34 pm

Always happy to see code :)

I am not making any PICnDuino's at the moment, I am working on a new cheap little game device though!

sdudley

Post by sdudley » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:56 pm

brad wrote:Always happy to see code :)

I am not making any PICnDuino's at the moment, I am working on a new cheap little game device though!

Hmmm... How am I supposed to make an Instructable showing people a project that uses the PICnDuino, when they can't get one? :cry:

I'm surprised no one has approached you about becoming a dealer or something for them. They would be a perfect fit for places like Seeedstudio or Sparkfun.

Have you contacted anyone at those sites?

Stacy

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:04 pm

I actually emailed all sorts of places after the kickstarter campaign (like adafruit and spark fun) no one replied...

But that's okay, I'll just keep on coming up with different things and see how they go :)

I think you'll like the new version of the 8x8 game system!