Getting started with programming pics in Basic

Post here to discuss programming with swordfish basic

Moderators: Chuckt, Garth, bitfogav

FreeThinker
decided to stick around...
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by FreeThinker » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:26 am

brad wrote:thanks buddy, I downloaded the pdf and am surprised that these LCD's have been around for that long.

Having said that, I guess people have been programming pic microcontrollers for many years now :)

A good read, thanks again for the link!
Think they were developed in the mid 80's but only got cheap enough for hobbyists in the mid 90's, a bit like colour oleds at the moment.
Check out http://mondo-technology.com/ and click on the superprobe in the lefthand side bar, how cool is that? Also check out the talking fish and furby hacks.Building the superprobe at the moment, got a feeling that it's going to be needed at work in the coming months, new plant arriving....servo controls and high pressure water, not a good combo, may be VERY busy for a while.
Machines were mice and men were Lions once upon a time........But now that it's the opposite its twice upon a time. MooNDoG

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by brad » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:22 pm

How handy is that superprobe!

So many functions all in one - I certainly have to look into making one of those :D

FreeThinker

Post by FreeThinker » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:36 am

As I thought VERY busy at work past week or so.Being spending most of my free time here:-
http://www.eevblog.com/episodes/
The Steve Urwin of the electronics world, one real Crazy Auzzie (No Offence Brad :) )
SwordFish Update: David Barker is back on the Forum, Maybe an update in the offing?
Done Zip on the lcd project, But have Vero boarded the superprobe.Not working at the mo, need to troubleshoot it when I get more time.
Machines were mice and men were Lions once upon a time........But now that it's the opposite its twice upon a time. MooNDoG

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:42 pm

FreeThinker wrote:As I thought VERY busy at work past week or so.Being spending most of my free time here:-
http://www.eevblog.com/episodes/
The Steve Urwin of the electronics world, one real Crazy Auzzie (No Offence Brad :) )
SwordFish Update: David Barker is back on the Forum, Maybe an update in the offing?
Done Zip on the lcd project, But have Vero boarded the superprobe.Not working at the mo, need to troubleshoot it when I get more time.
Thanks for the update freethinker!

I am still tossing up whether to buy swordfish or another compiler, will see how things pan out in the near future.

As for your superprobe project - if only you had a probe to fault find! :D

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:24 pm

I am still tossing up whether to buy swordfish or another compiler, will see how things pan out in the near future.
Ive been looking at Proton PDS basic compilier, As I'm getting to grips with pic basic now with swordfish, but you are limited with swordfish as swordfish only covers 18F microchips, yes I see David Barker is back in the forums etc.. But there is still alot of doubt whether swordfish will get updated.

I dont regret buying swordfish though! :)

Link for proton PDS
http://www.crownhill.co.uk/level3.php?cat=1

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:11 am

I actually sent them an email to see if I could get a discounted price since I have purchased isis 7 already and they seem to have a special package deal with them.

No reply yet though...

Mitchy

Post by Mitchy » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:43 am

Hi Brad,

The full version of Proton actually ships with a demo of Proteus ISIS (a couple of demo boards that can not be changed). Having the full version will allow you to make edits/add new components as required

waywardson07

Re: Getting started with programming pics in Basic

Post by waywardson07 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:26 pm

can you use a pickit2 to program with SF?

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Getting started with programming pics in Basic

Post by brad » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:38 pm

waywardson07 wrote:can you use a pickit2 to program with SF?
Yes you sure can! And that's how I program my pics.

You just need to open the pickit2 software, then click on the auto program button near the bottom left of the pickit2 screen. Open up the hex file that you are using with swordfish basic.

Once you have done that, the pickit2 software will detect any changes in the file that you just imported. Once it detects a change, it will automatically program it to the pic.

It will detect a change due to you modifying the code in swordfish and then clicking 'compile'

It is a really easy system and is very fast.