The Journey from FPGAS to ASICS

Post here to teach people how to do something.

Moderators: Chuckt, Garth, bitfogav

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

The Journey from FPGAS to ASICS

Post by Chuckt » Tue May 20, 2014 11:28 pm

http://www.nandland.com/
If you are a beginner to the wonderful world of digital design or a professional, Nandland will provide you with all of the information that you need. From a description of what is a hardware designer, to thorough designs, Nandland intends to be a one-stop-shop for all things digital design. All of the articles on this webpage have been written for people who have little to no background in Engineering. Nandland is constantly being updated with more content. If you are are beginner to the world of Digital Design, check out the lessons at FPGA-101. That will give you a solid foundation in your journey to learning FPGAs and ASIcs.

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: The Journey from FPGAS to ASICS

Post by brad » Fri May 23, 2014 12:06 am

I actually read this the other day and started reading through the tutorials. Long story short - I got side tracked and forgot to post back here!

Thanks for posting the link Chuck :)

Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Chuckt » Fri May 23, 2014 12:20 am

I never made a chip before. I think it can be really expensive depending on the level of complexity involved.

From what I heard you need a lot of testing to go from FPGA to ASIC to make a chip. To those who don't have the money, it may be a once in a lifetime opportunity so you either make it work with a lot of testing or it doesn't work. I'm talking about the high end stuff.

Other people are making chips using CAD software and the license is $45K for some of these programs that can't get you to the next level for upgrades because some software is limited.

For those of us who can't afford it, we can at least read about it.

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Sun May 25, 2014 1:36 pm

There are loads of great software titles these days that help you with basically everything to do with making a project. You've got PCB cad programs, schematic programs, programming IDE's and such etc.

I could just imagine how helpful the CAD programs for making chips would be compared to a decade or two (or three) ago. Could you imagine designing the Z80 CPU back in the day? would they have used a computer package to do this?