This algorithm can hide messages in dance music

Post here to teach people how to do something.

Moderators: Chuckt, Garth, bitfogav

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

This algorithm can hide messages in dance music

Post by Chuckt » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:35 pm

It encodes information by subtly varying the tempo
That means that StegIbiza could be a viable means of encoding information in music, and Szczypiorski suggests that software could be created both to code and decode music this way, with potential applications in security.
http://www.computerworld.com/article/31 ... picks=true
It's long been known that secret messages can be included in music through techniques such as backmasking, but now a Polish researcher has developed an entirely new approach.
StegIbiza is an algorithm for hiding information in a type of dance music known as Ibiza, which originates on the island by the same name in the western Mediterranean Sea.
StegIbiza: New Method for Information Hiding in Club Music

https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1608/1608.02988.pdf

I'm not sure what value this could be to users except that bandwidth could be used for multiple things such as sending lyrics to a screen like Amazon's whisper notes. Being able to embed data along with video and audio could be used for closed captioning.

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: This algorithm can hide messages in dance music

Post by brad » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:41 pm

I was initially thinking they may have used it to mess with peoples subconscious like they have done in the past with video. I wonder how hard it would be for someone to detect the presence of these encoded messages if they had software such as Logic X Pro.