Capacitor Plague

Post here to teach people how to do something.

Moderators: Chuckt, Garth, bitfogav

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Capacitor Plague

Post by Chuckt » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:25 am

Capacitor plague

Capacitors dry out

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

Garth
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Re: Capacitor Plague

Post by Garth » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:42 am

This was specifically about capacitors made with the electrolyte formula copied incompletely. In our aircraft products where we've used millions of capacitors starting 22 years ago, the only failures have been that one particular value of electrolytic capacitor, 220uF/16V in a 6x11mm case, with 6V on it in use (meaning it's operating at only 37% of WVDC) short internally, with no leakage or bulging; and the other is that on rare occasion a monolythic ceramic capacitor would have an infant-mortality failure as an open circuit. None of our other electrolytics have failed at all. We've had relays fail, but those were infant mortalities too; and if they made it through the first six months, you could be pretty sure they'll last indefinitely. I have plenty of electronics from the 1970's with electrolytic capacitors, and none of them have failed.
http://WilsonMinesCo.com/ lots of 6502 resources

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by brad » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:45 am

One of my work colleagues used to repair Apple computers in the 1980's and he said that the capacitors in the power supply had a DCWV of less than what was actually across them. Therefor they failed pre-maturely.

Garth
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Garth » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:04 am

I found that when I worked at TEAC in the early 80's also. For example, to save space money, they'd put a 25V capacitor in a 25V power supply application where they needed a few thousand uF, and they'd go out sometimes. The smaller ones in the audio circuits never went out though, as those were rated for far more voltage than they got in the circuit.
http://WilsonMinesCo.com/ lots of 6502 resources

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:11 pm

I could have mentioned this before, but I have picked up a few LCD televisions from the tip and some had faulty capacitors in the power supply. I replaced them and they worked again! We are very much a throw away society aren't we.