help with programing

Post here to discuss The Great Race.

Moderators: Chuckt, Garth, bitfogav

rd1196
Can't get enough of electronics!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: help with programing

Post by rd1196 » Mon May 23, 2011 9:46 am

I already imported the hex file succesfully after that what should I do?

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by brad » Mon May 23, 2011 8:35 pm

If you can import the hex file then you just need to program it to the microcontroller :)

sdudley

Post by sdudley » Tue May 24, 2011 5:43 am

rd1196 - Have you read the PICkit2 user guide?

Chapter 2 in the user guide is pretty thorough about how to do all this.

http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/D ... 51553E.pdf

I also recommend reading the low pin count demo board user guide. It has very good examples for simple projects (blinking LED, etc.)

http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/D ... 51556a.pdf

Hope this helps,

Stacy
Any time you deviate from sequential consistency, you increase the complexity of the problem by orders of magnitude.

rd1196

Post by rd1196 » Mon May 30, 2011 3:01 am

when we are programing the pic when the pickit2 program says HEX FILE SUCESSFULLY IMPORTED does that mean the pic is programed or do you have to do another thing

sdudley

Post by sdudley » Mon May 30, 2011 4:49 am

rd1196 wrote:when we are programing the pic when the pickit2 program says HEX FILE SUCESSFULLY IMPORTED does that mean the pic is programed or do you have to do another thing
Have you read the users guide?

If you are able to import the hex file (explained in section 2.6 of the PICkit2 Programmer/Debugger Users Guide) then you obviously have everything connected correctly.

After sucessfully importing the HEX file all you need to do is click on the "WRITE" button and the programmer will program the chip. This is explained in section 2.7 (page 20) of the users guide.

Section 2.7 explains most everything you need to know about writing the hex file along with possible errors that might happen in the process.
write a hex file.JPG
write a hex file.JPG (90.27 KiB) Viewed 21113 times
write a hex file 2.JPG
write a hex file 2.JPG (129.54 KiB) Viewed 21113 times
Section 2.8 explains how you can verify the programmed data.

Stacy
Any time you deviate from sequential consistency, you increase the complexity of the problem by orders of magnitude.

rd1196

Post by rd1196 » Mon May 30, 2011 10:59 am

hello brad i finished the game i did all the steps you told me but when i turn it on only the red dot appears. and if i move it after like 2 or 3 seconds it turns off i think it is because i die but i just cant see the green dots

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Mon May 30, 2011 7:21 pm

rd1196 wrote:hello brad i finished the game i did all the steps you told me but when i turn it on only the red dot appears. and if i move it after like 2 or 3 seconds it turns off i think it is because i die but i just cant see the green dots
Hi rd1196,

Ive had a look at your schematics that you posted on the other topic viewtopic.php?f=2&t=250&start=15 it looks to me that your 8x8 matrix lines from the 7442 are incorrect. With what you say that you cant get the green leds to work?, well the microchip controls the green leds via the 7442. I have changed your schematics to what you need to change for your 8x8 matrix/7442 connections. please note that I have ONLY changed the schematics to what you need to change, I havnt included the full schematics or connected the data lines from the microchip to the 7442, so that doesn't mean you dont need to connect them. :) Also pin 12 on the 7442 needs to go to GND has I have shown in the schematic, this is a data line which is not used in this project, but you cant leave it floating, you may get the wrong results from the 7442.
8x8matrixgreatrace.jpg
8x8matrixgreatrace.jpg (36.23 KiB) Viewed 21108 times

rd1196

Post by rd1196 » Tue May 31, 2011 1:11 am

thanks so you fixed the wires that means i have to change them. beacause i connected the 2 gnds and i have the game but backwards. so that means i have to change the wires as you told me.

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Tue May 31, 2011 1:23 am

yeah that sounds about right to me.

Gavin :)

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Tue May 31, 2011 12:50 pm

Nice pickup Gav!

rd1196

Post by rd1196 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:49 am

witch of the options that appear on the device family option is the one I need (if I'm using 16F628A)