help with the screen

Post here to discuss The Great Race.

Moderators: Chuckt, Garth, bitfogav

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: help with the screen

Post by brad » Sat May 28, 2011 7:33 am

rd1196 wrote:in the schematic the 7442 ground is in the 12th pin but in the pic you showed us the its on the 8th pin are they both right or is the schematic wrong.
You will find that each IC may have the ground and VCC pins in different places.

Ground for the 7442 is pin 8 while VCC is pin 16

Ground for the microcontroller is pin 5 while VDD is pin 14

Just on a side note, we call the +ve connection on the 7442 VCC because it is made up of BJT transistors internally (the C is for the collector terminal) We call the +ve connection on the microcontroller VDD because it is made up of MOSFETS (the D is for the drain terminal)

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by brad » Sat May 28, 2011 7:34 am

And by the way, the schematic looks good to me!

rd1196
Can't get enough of electronics!

Post by rd1196 » Sat May 28, 2011 11:09 am

really it looks good the vcc and ground from the decoder and microcontroller are good i dont have to add anything

Thanks Brad

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Mon May 30, 2011 7:32 pm

Looking at your schematics, I think your 8x8 matrix lines from the 7442 are incorrect. and you need to had a GND to pin 12 of the 7442, this is a data line or control line and may give you the wrong results from the 7442 if this is left floating.
8x8matrixgreatrace.jpg
8x8matrixgreatrace.jpg (36.23 KiB) Viewed 42898 times

nodoubtman

Post by nodoubtman » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:55 am

Hi Brad! I'm making the smiley face on my breadboard, i don't know how to connect the matrix, i have 12 pins on the matrix, can you explain how to make it with 12 pins.. a simple draw?? thank you!
marC:)

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:38 pm

bitfogav has an excellent answer for this question. just check out the following link to another forum topic.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=250

I am guessing that you mean there are 12 pins on each side of your matrix (which makes 24 total) This is made up of 8 common anode connections, then 8 common cathode for red and 8 common cathode for green. (8 + 8 + 8 = 24)

nodoubtman

Post by nodoubtman » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:35 am

brad wrote:Can you upload a photo?
Hey Brad! :)

I have uploaded the video on my youtube of brad smile, tell me if it is okay, because i tried the scrolling digits and it doesnt seems to work ok!

tell me what you think!

here's the video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_yaGuvU ... e=youtu.be

have a good day

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:57 am

Hi marC, looks to me like your matrix is wired incorrectly. :| can you please also confirm that your matrix has 24 pins ?

Gavin.
If you don't know what Voltage your country is using, you shouldn't be doing electronics ;-)

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:23 am

I agree with bitfogav, it certainly is cycling through the graphic data, but it must be wired incorrectly for it to be giving you that on the display. Have you had a read through this forum topic to see just how to connect the display? - do you need to rotate the display 180 degrees maybe?

nodoubtman

Post by nodoubtman » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:45 am

i got these matrix from sure electronics, same as yours brad " http://www.sureelectronics.net/goods.php?id=230

i'm getting all mixed up.. i need a detailed draw of the connection.. along the brad smile schematic

here's how i wired up all this : Image

thanks!

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:23 pm

I can' really understand your schematic.

Are you able to maybe post a photo of your actual project? is it on a breadboard?

nodoubtman

Post by nodoubtman » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:53 pm

Hi Brad! Thanks for helping me out! I'm really have big trouble make this matrix works.. i will explain :

i just want to know the pin 1 of the 7442 goes to the word's name side and the first green wire from the left?? and the pin 2 of the 7442 goes to the pin 1 from the left of the other's side of the word's name? i don't know to to wire this schematic?

thanks!

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:26 pm

Hopefully this will help?
matrixconnections.jpg
matrixconnections.jpg (30.38 KiB) Viewed 42520 times
If you don't know what Voltage your country is using, you shouldn't be doing electronics ;-)

nodoubtman

Post by nodoubtman » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:32 pm

bitfogav wrote:Hopefully this will help?
matrixconnections.jpg
oh thanks big! :) that clear all up! :)

i will post a video soon :)

thanks again!

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:40 pm

Hopefully that helps, if you want to make the matrix display in RED leds then you need to swap the GREEN connections to the RED connections, if you need help with that then just ask and I will change the picture above for you.

Let us know if your matrix now works correctly :)

Thanks Gavin.