led matrix help please

Post here to discuss The Great Race.

Moderators: Chuckt, Garth, bitfogav

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
tgraz34
decided to stick around...
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

led matrix help please

Post by tgraz34 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:40 am

The schematic diagram for the great race led matrix looks different than the schematic diagram for the matrices i bought.

Can someone take a look at the data sheet and tell me if i bought the wrong led matrix? and can someone tell me the difference between the diagrams?

THANKS
anthony

http://www.sure-electronics.net/DC,IC%2 ... -MM103.pdf

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:57 am

Hi Antony,

No that looks like the correct 8x8 Matrix, Have you got the matrix the wrong way round?

check out this picture of a matrix I have on a breadboard, you can see the writing on the side of the matrix, and then you see the coloured wires going to the one side of the matrix,

The wires go to these pins.

Green wire = Green leds
Orange wire = Red leds
Yellow wire = Power supply

Im guessing if the writing on the side of the matrix is the same as yours then you have the right 8x8 matrix..

hope this helps - just ask if you need more help :)
Attachments
8x8 matrix.jpg
8x8 matrix.jpg (23.66 KiB) Viewed 20163 times
Last edited by bitfogav on Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:16 am

Heres a better picture of the details on the side of the matrix..

Attachments
8x8 matrix.jpg
8x8 matrix.jpg (18.96 KiB) Viewed 20158 times

tgraz34
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by tgraz34 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:13 am

Im still confused... looking at brads schematic, it looks like the anode leads are coming out on the left side of the matrix and the cathodes are coming out the top... on my matrix schematic... the cathodes come out the the left and the anodes on top.

Could you tell me what pin on the matrix(data sheet above) should connect to pin one of the 7442?

i think if i know at least one of the connections i can figure the rest out by common sense.

hopefully some of the stuff i just said makes sense :(

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:55 am

The schematics of Brads 8x8 matrix = Anodes are coming out of the TOP and the Cathodes are coming out of the LEFT which connect to the 7442.
On your schematics the Anodes come out of the LEFT and the Cathodes come out of the TOP.

Brads schematics isnt like for like with the datasheet.

Anyway Pin 1 of the 7442 is connected to Pin 24 of the 8x8 matrix.
Pin 2 of the 7442 should then connect to Pin 21 of the 8x8 matrix.

Pin 1 of the 8x8 matrix is the TOP LEFT if you are looking down at the TOP of the matrix ( but note that the writing on the matrix should be on the left hand side as I am showing you in my pictures above)

Hope that makes more sense now :)

tgraz34

Post by tgraz34 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:58 am

hey thanks a lot for the help :)

by the way, i really like your 24x24 led matrix project and i'd love to see a video of it sometime.

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:34 am

No problem :) I always build things using breadboards so then you know if your circuits work before making them :)

And thank you I will upload a video of my 24x24 when its done.

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:51 pm

It looks like I am too late - but ignore the schematic from sure electronics - it's terrible!

Bitfogav is spot on.