Moving to a new hosting company

Post here to comment on the site. Good or bad...

Moderators: Chuckt, Garth, bitfogav

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
brad
Site Admin
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Moving to a new hosting company

Post by brad » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:53 am

Hi everyone,

My current hosting provider keeps reassuring me that everything is now fine with the server.

But time and time again the site keeps going down! So I have had enough and have just moved onto a new hosting provider.

I have not moved the site over to the new provider yet but will have that done over the weekend. SO there shouldn't be any more hiccups!

Mitchy
decided to stick around...
decided to stick around...

Re: Moving to a new hosting company

Post by Mitchy » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:03 pm

I recently upgraded Digital DIY to a private server - It's likely that your all over it, in any case here's some tips from my experience:

1) Disable the phpbb3 board from the ACP
2) Make a backup of the site
3) Update DNS settings for your domain
4) Upload the backup data and enable/configure the new site via direct IP access (its likely that DNS has not resolved yet)
5) Wait for propagation around the world
6) Business as usual

The above sequence prevents two copies of the site being "live" at the same time. The old one will be disabled (preventing new information & access) and the new one will be live (normal member/visitor access). The other benefit is that the DNS can propagate seamlessly, and you do not have to worry about checking every hour or so to see if its live on your particular DNS.

Hope this makes sense, I can help out if need be..

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Moving to a new hosting company

Post by brad » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:55 am

Thanks for that Mitchy!

All is well now - it was a bit of an ordeal especially when you are trying to backup a site that keeps going down on you...