Just realised that the new font doesn't work!

Post here to comment on the site. Good or bad...

Moderators: Chuckt, Garth, bitfogav

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
brad
Site Admin
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Just realised that the new font doesn't work!

Post by brad » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:19 am

Hi again everyone, I have been redesigning the site as of late and have been using a pretty nice font which I have only now just realised that monst PC's would not actually have this font installed.

As such, the website looks terrible if you're using a PC (rather than a Mac)

So I am off to go and fix it...

elementalrage
semi-newbie
semi-newbie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Just realised that the new font doesn't work!

Post by elementalrage » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:39 am

There is only a select number of fonts available for most web browsers:

http://www.w3schools.com/css/css_websafe_fonts.asp

Of course, for static items, you can always use an image and that can have whatever fonts you want.

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:33 am

I changed the big titles to graphics, which was pretty straight forward - but it would be good if the fonts were somehow embedded into the webpage - they're a very small file size after all.

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:58 pm

I like the new top logo forum design, looks just like my user logo :D i like it Brad..

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:31 pm

Hey yeah! I just realized that :D

I found the image on a free backgrounds site :)

Garth
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Garth » Sun May 04, 2014 12:57 pm

The other phpBB forums I'm on allow the user a couple of different appearance options, and I suspect this one does too but I can't find where to set it. Where is it? I have occasional clouding in one eye, which, when it appears, makes the light-gray-on-dark-gray font slow my reading down a lot. I know many sites do gray letters on white background with the idea that it softens the look, arguing that the contrast on a monitor is much greater than it is on a printed paper; but the truth of the matter is that I never have any trouble at all with black letters on white paper, but many websites' efforts to soften the look slow me way down. I can't speed-read with it.
http://WilsonMinesCo.com/ lots of 6502 resources

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Sun May 04, 2014 11:04 pm

I'm sorry Garth, I tried doing some research and I too couldn't find how to modify the font settings.

How is it done on the other sites that you use?

Garth
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Garth » Mon May 05, 2014 6:13 am

The choice is under "User control panel", "Board preferences", and there are options for "Serenity", "Prosilver", "we_universal", and possibly others. I use the prosilver. You might have the choices disabled in the "Administrative control panel" --> "Styles" or "Administrative control panel" --> "General" --> "Board settings".

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Tue May 06, 2014 10:58 pm

I tried disabling the option to override users styles but when I do that, It changes the entire theme of the forum for all users, even when I choose the current theme, it comes up with a different one!

Garth
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Garth » Fri May 26, 2017 2:50 am

Thanks Brad! This light blue background that appeared this morning makes it a lot more readable than the old dark gray. I think it's phpBB's "Prosilver" theme. I went into my "user control panel" to see if there were now other options (just to see, because I have my other phpBB forums set to Prosilver anyway), but I didn't see any other options. Hopefully everyone will like this. I set the font color to black on this post too, so it shows up extra well against the light blue.

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Fri May 26, 2017 9:30 pm

You're right Garth - it is the standard pro-silver theme. Perhaps one day I could get around to updating it to something else while still keeping it nice and readable :)