Swordfish board for Arduino - work in progress

Post here to let others know of a project you're working on.

Moderators: Chuckt, Garth, bitfogav

bitfogav

Re: Swordfish board for Arduino - work in progress

Post by bitfogav » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:08 am

brad wrote:I'm just wondering though - isn't the +5V from the USB port just shorted straight to the +5V of the onboard regulator. If this is the case, how would the circuit know that it is the USB port providing power or something else?
Well yes your correct the +5V from USB port on my board is connected to the +5V power rail. What if instead you just connect the +5V USB port to the USB detection pin via the voltage divider?.. Which will mean using an external power supply to power up the PIC?.. I'm sure this would work?.
If you don't know what Voltage your country is using, you shouldn't be doing electronics ;-)

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by brad » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:52 pm

The Arduino's have a low forward voltage drop diode between the Vcc rail and the USB +5v line - this effectively disconnects the USB +5v connection when the board is already using it's own power supply. You could use this in conjunction with your voltage divider perhaps.

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:21 am

Sorry for such a late reply Brad, I need to get back onto this project!.. Write more code and get another board made up :)
If you don't know what Voltage your country is using, you shouldn't be doing electronics ;-)

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by brad » Fri May 02, 2014 7:06 am

No problem Gav!

I myself have barely found any time to work on any projects lately. The twins haven't been sleeping very well of late so that's keeping me busy!

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Sat May 31, 2014 8:48 am

The week's seem to be flying by at the moment! :( I hope the twins are doing good Brad?. Any how I have managed to get back onto this project over the last few days, I have lot's of code done and the board module (software) is coming along nicely, the odd bug or two, which took me a little while to figure out! :lol: I have now also almost completed another version of the board, which I will be sending off for manufacturing in the next few days. The board is getting pretty full of on board features!.. here are some diptrace examples!.. I quite like the red board :wink:
3dLeds.jpg
3dLeds.jpg (121.33 KiB) Viewed 21068 times
3dpowerjack.jpg
3dpowerjack.jpg (177.94 KiB) Viewed 21068 times
3dTopRed.jpg
3dTopRed.jpg (231.18 KiB) Viewed 21068 times

MrDEB
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by MrDEB » Sat May 31, 2014 12:33 pm

What Diptrace version are you using. I need to get into the 3d deeper.
Nice looking boards I migh add.

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Sat May 31, 2014 7:52 pm

MrDEB wrote:What Diptrace version are you using.
I'm using Latest build: 2.3.1.0 (March 20, 2013). The yellow/grey 3D components are actually shapes that I have imported into Diptrace 3D :)

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Sat May 31, 2014 10:20 pm

I'll second the nice looking boards comment! They are very nice indeed!

So it looks like you've got yourself a light sensor, a temp sensor and eight LED's which I assume are connected to a dedicated 8 bit port?

I have some boards being manufactured as I type this - I do get quite excited when I know they are coming in the mail :)

I think I have asked before, but are you planning on selling these - perhaps on Tindie?

Oh by the way, RED boards are now my color of choice!

Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Chuckt » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:14 am

I may be interested in a board and I am willing to promote and would be asking for some ideas to promote it.

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:34 am

>>I'll second the nice looking boards comment! They are very nice indeed!

Thank you guys..

>>I think I have asked before, but are you planning on selling these - perhaps on Tindie?

I have not made up my mind if they will be for sale or not yet Brad.

>>So it looks like you've got yourself a light sensor, a temp sensor and eight LED's which I assume are connected to a dedicated 8 bit port?

Indeed I wanted to make sure that I have used up all of the space on the pcb board. the eight LED's are not connected to a dedicated 8 bit port at present, I have included a 8 pin 2.54m strip which will allow user/myself to use some jumper wires to connect them up if need be?. I know I have 33 I/O pins or there about with the 18F4550 but I don't really have a free 8 bit port has I am trying to keep all of the dedicated mcu peripheral to the correct lines (to match Arduino).

>>Oh by the way, RED boards are now my color of choice!

Yes, I like the Red too, this will be the color I will be getting them manufactured in. :)

>>I have some boards being manufactured as I type this - I do get quite excited when I know they are coming in the mail

Me too :) I guess they don't take that long to arrive to Australia?

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:44 am

Chuckt wrote:I may be interested in a board and I am willing to promote and would be asking for some ideas to promote it.
Thank you for your interest chuckt, when/if I decide to sell the boards I will let you know :)

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:29 am

brad wrote:eight LED's which I assume are connected to a dedicated 8 bit port?!
You got me thinking Brad and I think I've come up with an idea! :lol: I've now added a 74595 to the eight leds and managed to dedicate only 3 mcu lines.. reworked the board a little too..
Ver2with74595.jpg
Ver2with74595.jpg (170.76 KiB) Viewed 21041 times

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:07 pm

You got me thinking Brad and I think I've come up with an idea! :lol: I've now added a 74595 to the eight leds and managed to dedicate only 3 mcu lines.. reworked the board a little too..
I love making people think!

74595's are a great chip, I used them on my DigiPixel board and I am in the process of designing a board for work with a bunch of LED's on it. So the 74595's will again make an appearance.

I also like what you have done with the regulators to give them a built in heat sink :)

Garth
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Garth » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:12 am

Use 'em for even hundreds of output bits:
http://wilsonminesco.com/6502primer/pot ... #22_SR_OUT
http://WilsonMinesCo.com/ lots of 6502 resources

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:37 pm

Use 'em for even hundreds of output bits:
http://wilsonminesco.com/6502primer/pot ... #22_SR_OUT
Wow, you have loads of great tips on that page!