Swordfish board for Arduino - work in progress

Post here to let others know of a project you're working on.

Moderators: Chuckt, Garth, bitfogav

bitfogav

Re: Swordfish board for Arduino - work in progress

Post by bitfogav » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:39 am

brad wrote:74595's are a great chip, I used them on my DigiPixel board and I am in the process of designing a board for work with a bunch of LED's on it.
Yes indeed, the 74595 is a very handy chip if you want more outputs. I used them in one of my last projects also to drive led's :)
Matrix Shield
matrixGamepic1.jpg
matrixGamepic1.jpg (22.28 KiB) Viewed 23900 times
If you don't know what Voltage your country is using, you shouldn't be doing electronics ;-)

Garth
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Garth » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:18 am

brad wrote:
Use 'em for even hundreds of output bits:
http://wilsonminesco.com/6502primer/pot ... #22_SR_OUT
Wow, you have loads of great tips on that page!
Thanks. I have quite a bit more to add when time allows.
http://WilsonMinesCo.com/ lots of 6502 resources

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:41 am

I have already designed another version of the board, this time it supports 3.3v and 5v microchips (18F4550.18F4553,18F46J50,18F47J50) :)

If you don't know what Voltage your country is using, you shouldn't be doing electronics ;-)

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by brad » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:34 pm

Well done bitfogav :)

Is there some sort of jumper that you use to select between 3.3v and 5v?

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:02 pm

brad wrote:Well done bitfogav :)

Is there some sort of jumper that you use to select between 3.3v and 5v?
Yes indeed, it's pretty much a cheap way by using some solder surface pads :) this only changes the power supply to the main chip, you still have 5v and 3.3v on the headers.

Made my own solder pads in Diptrace:
voltageSelection.jpg
voltageSelection.jpg (40.36 KiB) Viewed 23867 times

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by brad » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:33 am

That reminds me of the Amiga 500 motherboards. They had similar solder pads that you would short together depending on (I think) what specific chips you had installed.

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:49 pm

After a few versions of the board I think the board is almost finished (depending on testing).. Over the weekend I have built up the 4 versions of the board (18F4550.18F4553,18F46J50,18F47J50) Here is a sneak look at the boards :)
ReflowSFBoard1.jpg
The boards just going into the reflow oven
ReflowSFBoard1.jpg (87.16 KiB) Viewed 23829 times
CompleteSFBoard1.jpg
All boards complete
CompleteSFBoard1.jpg (107.47 KiB) Viewed 23829 times

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:28 am

The red boards are definitely my favourite. Nice choice - they have come up just perfectly bitfogav.

Now it looks as though you've got yourself a home made reflow oven, how is that controlled? is there any problem with the sensing element coming desoldered in there?

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:19 am

brad wrote:The red boards are definitely my favourite. Nice choice - they have come up just perfectly bitfogav.

Now it looks as though you've got yourself a home made reflow oven, how is that controlled? is there any problem with the sensing element coming desoldered in there?
The red boards do look great :) I do have a reflow oven at home, I brought it nearly 2 years ago and it's been well worth it!.. I enjoy watching the solder paste reflow and all the components self a line.. No problems with the sensing element because it's just a Thermocouple type temperature sensor which I just attach to a piece of pcb board..

The reflow oven was one of the cheapest I could find and the controller is one that you can interface with using a PC (RS232), it's really great for adjusting the correct oven temperatures, to get the correct reflow.. If you want to check out the reflow oven and controller then the links are below.

Beta-Layout Reflow oven
Beta-Layout Reflow oven controller

Also I did find out that David also uses the same reflow controller as myself (for the Firewing boards), and he has put together a fantastic graphical user interface (GUI). check it out here.

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:33 pm

I love it that RS232 is still in use today, it's certainly easier (in my opinion) to interface to microcontroller devices compared to USB.

I bought one a few years ago swell although the glass panel is so small that you can't really see anything - I wanted to see the solder flowing and aligning all the components!

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:51 am

I just saw it was 3 months since I posted on this topic last, well time flies!!. I have been on and off this project and others since and I have just received some really nice black boards :)
sfboardblack.jpg
sfboardblack.jpg (75.45 KiB) Viewed 23605 times

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:23 am

Looking very sharp there bitfogav!

Speaking of black boards, here's an older style that I remember from school :wink: