What is your best PCB Designer

Post here to let others know of a project you're working on.

Moderators: Chuckt, Garth, bitfogav

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Taylor
semi-newbie
semi-newbie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

What is your best PCB Designer

Post by Taylor » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:07 am

i hope all is fine on the forum

i'm currently working on a small project 8x8 matrix led rgb and i want to make a printed circuit board for it

I'm just asking you what is your pcb designer which one is the best and why

i use Eagle because it is easy i can find all library microchip atmel other shift registrer transistor...

So what about your pcb designer?

Taylor

bitfogav

Re: What is your best PCB Designer

Post by bitfogav » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:34 am

I got to say Diptrace http://www.diptrace.com/, It's easy to make your own components and easy to use. also includes a schematic designer, and 3D models of your final design. It doesn't come with any Microchip or Atmel libraries though but you will find a universal footprint of the required IC.

heres a similar topic: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=810&p=4877&hilit=diptrace#p4877
If you don't know what Voltage your country is using, you shouldn't be doing electronics ;-)

Taylor
semi-newbie
semi-newbie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Taylor » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:17 am

thank you bitfogav for fast reply

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:03 am

No Problem.. Look forward too seeing your 8x8 matrix led rgb project :)

Are you making the boards yourself? or are you thinking of getting some made by a manufacturer?
If you don't know what Voltage your country is using, you shouldn't be doing electronics ;-)

MrDEB
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by MrDEB » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:28 pm

I think you will find that DIPTRACE is perhaps the easiest pcboard program to use that will produce a file that you send to a board house to produce your boards.
EAGLE is a good program but a steep learning curve but it is perhaps a more advanced program with more bells and whistles that you may never use anyway.
GOOD LUCK

Taylor
semi-newbie
semi-newbie

Post by Taylor » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:47 am

sorry for late reply

hi bitfogav thank you i'm very glad to hear someone waiting to see my project
i think i'll use etching chemical first just to make my prototype and after that i'll send to manufacture

hi MrDEB thank you dude for your information i think i'll use diptrace finally

MrDEB
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by MrDEB » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:25 am

Making your own PCboards can be challenging and frustrating at best.
Here is an artical I did to help alleviate most of the issues.
http://www.electro-tech-online.com/arti ... takes.414/

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:47 am

I have made a lot of my own boards using etching chemicals, I find that the only thing that can screw up the whole process is ironing on the etching circuit to the copper board.. You need the iron at the right temperture, and you need to apply the right pressure on the iron to the board..

Oh and avoid small traces and small gaps between them..

MrDEB
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by MrDEB » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:14 am

YES small traces should be avoided if possible. I use mostly .020"
For transferring the image I use a laminiator and PULSAR system paper. YOU MUST USE A laser printer as an ink jet is water based? but will wash off very easy.

Taylor
semi-newbie
semi-newbie

Post by Taylor » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:42 am

i agree with small trace i've always this problem

here is one of my board, this is a pcb for my journal led

MrDEB
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by MrDEB » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:48 pm

Notice the wide traces.
Now what exactly is that board doing?? and what method are you using to produce boards?

Taylor
semi-newbie
semi-newbie

Post by Taylor » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:33 am

hello
yes i used wide traces
this board drive multi 5x7 matrix (i mean by multi 5x7 a journal led)
i use uv light and FecL3 for chemical etching

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:53 am

Well it looks like I am late to the party but thought I'd put in my 2 cents.

DIPTRACE has been mentioned a number of times and I'm going to put in another 1 for DIPTRACE. It is the best I have used. There is a great freeware version and if you ever did want to go ahead and make boards for commercial purposes, it has just about the cheapest pricing I have seen. (much cheaper than eagle in fact).

As for getting boards manufactured I used to use pcbcart.com but that was a few years ago. Now I use iteadstudio, fantastic value! Normally I buy the 10cm x 10cm boards in lots of 10 for around $25 I think. If I am in a rush to receive them I'll pay the $20 for dhl delivery otherwise I think airmail is about $8.

I have also etched my own boards in the past but as others have said, it can be a tricky process but your board seemed to have worked out just nicely!

Taylor
semi-newbie
semi-newbie

Post by Taylor » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:39 am

then now i'm very sure about diptrace

Garth
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Garth » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:49 am

I just posted about this a few minutes ago at http://bradsprojects.com/forum/viewtopi ... 5521#p5521
http://WilsonMinesCo.com/ lots of 6502 resources