Can Bus Project - Reading data from automotive vehicles

Post here to let others know of a project you're working on.

Moderators: Chuckt, Garth, bitfogav

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
bitfogav

Can Bus Project - Reading data from automotive vehicles

Post by bitfogav » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:25 am

I started awhile ago making some Swordfish modules for Can Bus. Which can be found here Swordfish Can Bus

My project or what I would like to achieve..
A Can Bus system (control board) using Arduino/Firewing/Swordfish and being able to reverse engineer the Can Bus packets to make some sort of data logger device which could read vehicle speed, battery voltage, engine temp & sensors etc.

What I have so far..
I have found some great Can Bus boards from SeeedStudio which are Arduino compatible and should also work with Firewing.
canbusshield.jpg
canbusshield.jpg (5.93 KiB) Viewed 16394 times
Wesite link Can Bus Shield
If you don't know what Voltage your country is using, you shouldn't be doing electronics ;-)

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Can Bus Project - Reading data from automotive vehicles

Post by brad » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:48 pm

Interesting project gav. Do cars work on a can bus system? Or are you saying that you coukd connect up your project to your caes sensors and then you would then transfer that data by can bus?

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:57 am

Yes most modern cars now work on Can Bus systems Brad, it's used to link the major component units like the Engine control unit to the Auto gearbox control unit etc, and used for electronic diagnostics..

As an example - the brake control unit might send the car speed value on the Can Bus to the dial (speedo) so that the dial (speedo) can then display the car speed to the driver..

Hopefully I can use the seedstudio shield to interact on the car Can Bus and get the necessary data from the car control units.
Its going to need some reverse engineering first though as Can Bus data is nothing like Uart/12C serial data.. I need a challenge :lol:

Below is an example of 1 data packet sent from a control unit on a Can Bus system. the data field will be the important part which can be up to 8 bytes of data.
can121.JPG
can121.JPG (35.72 KiB) Viewed 16384 times
If you don't know what Voltage your country is using, you shouldn't be doing electronics ;-)

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by brad » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:32 am

Thanks for the info bitfogav!

Well I have to agree with you, I think it certainly will be a challenge and a great learning experience!

Do you think you could make it into a commercial product somehow?

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:35 am

By the way, I found this on hackaday:

http://hackaday.com/2013/10/22/can-hack ... ore-103592

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:31 am

brad wrote:Do you think you could make it into a commercial product somehow?
I'll have to see what road it leads, might have to try out kickstarter!! :lol:
brad wrote:By the way, I found this on hackaday:
http://hackaday.com/2013/10/22/can-hack ... ore-103592
That's a great link and also good timing aswel!!.. thanks for sharing Brad.

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:46 pm

Kickstarter has recently been opened up to the UK and now it's in Australia!