In need of some assistance for BATMAN pov graphics

Post here to let others know of a project you're working on.

Moderators: Chuckt, Garth, bitfogav

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: In need of some assistance for BATMAN pov graphics

Post by brad » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:10 am

Sorry for the late reply MrDEB, I've been a busy guy lately!

I would highly recommend still using a hall sensor just for the sake of reliability. As for using the spokes for a ground connection, I did a similar thing when using a POV and a 12V motor. I used the motor shaft as the ground connection. You would just want some nice big filter capacitors on the receiving circuit board.

If you'd like to get more LED's, you could use serial to parallel shift registers (like the 74595 chips). They are excellent for this purpose and you could have dozens of LED's and only use a few of your microcontroller I/O pins.

Have a look at my 32x64 RGB POV for how I connected my power supply to the spinning circuit board.

MrDEB
I practically live here!
I practically live here!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by MrDEB » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:25 pm

74595 chips sound familiar as I used them on the Christmas light display that I built several years ago. I think I still have a bunch of them?
Will have a look at the 32x64 led project.

MrDEB
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by MrDEB » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:54 am

I think I am going in circles. WHY reinvent the wheel when I have the solution already working?
Using a TLC5917 LED sink chip I reduce the number of resistors from 8 to one plus all the leds will draw equal current = brightness.
I looked at my diptrace files but the saved schematic has some missing componets. Need to look through my paper plies for last schematic and / or redraw present saved schematic using working assembly as guide.

MrDEB
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by MrDEB » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:45 am

Can't believe I got the 200 tri-color LEDs in less than a week!
Ordering pics. Looking at using 18F2221 25mhz for $2.62 each. no need for unnecessary on chip stuff as it is only going to drive a bunch of leds.
Plan is to use 10 leds per wheel side (20 leds per wheel) with one pic and one battery pack. Looking at using 9v batteries and voltage reg or just use a 3 aaa battery pack.
Using each output to sink for two leds. Need to calculate resistors but going to measure actual LED currents and shoot for 15-18ma.

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:14 am

If you're looking at cost savings, I think the best thing to do would be get the cheapest PIC chip that you can (while still having a good amount of program memory and internal oscillator) Then you can expand out your I/O pins with some 74595 serial to parallel converter chips. They are dirt cheap and work extremely well!

MrDEB
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by MrDEB » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:19 pm

The batman project is put on hold until next year. Will consider all possibilities.

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:02 pm

This sounds just like so many of my projects that I haven't completed :)

MrDEB
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by MrDEB » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:32 pm

Well I got the candle project done and after overhauling the code it looks awsome. Need to locate my webcam to upload video.
Now back to the Batman wheel graphics. I obtained some brighter leds (for the candles) that are significantly brighter than what I was using.
Now some simple info--Lets see if I am on the correct page,
the pic measures the time from the triggering of sensor to the next trigger then it cycles through the CONST data at the times interval?
example sensor is triggered and 1 second later is triggered again (for simplicity a 60 rpm rotation, each rotation = 1 second) so now the CONST data is all read at a 1 second rate.
seeing how this bike wheel will be rotating at a slow rate, two or three sensors to be utilized and lots of LEDs

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:30 am

You would want your display to be able to update 25 times a second (or so). So if you have one strip of LED's, you would need it to be spinning at 25rps, if you had two strips 180 degrees apart then you could halve the rotation speed to around 12rps etc...

You would still only need one sensor I believe. Once you pass that sensor ALL of the strips of LED's would start flashing their respective data (I.E. you wouldn't have each strip display their data at different times.