GSM Shield SM5100 - Arduino And Firewing

Post here to let others know of a project you're working on.

Moderators: Chuckt, Garth, bitfogav

bitfogav

Re: GSM Shield SM5100 - Arduino And Firewing

Post by bitfogav » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:40 am

*update* still working on the gsm terminal...

Heres another useful website for checking your countries gsm band..
http://www.worldtimezone.com/gsm.html
If you don't know what Voltage your country is using, you shouldn't be doing electronics ;-)

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:10 am

In this post I am just going to cover the gsm Speaker and Mic..

The SM5100 shield has a connection port for a Speaker and Mic connection, the Speaker connection supports an impedance of 16 to 150 Ohm, bearing in mind that this will not power a BIG speaker, It should drive up to a 200mW speaker though without an external amplifier.

The Mic supports all electret microphones, recommended impedance of 2.2Kohm.

Important
I found out by default the gsm module is set not to ring (no sound from speaker) when there is an incoming call, I needed to set a ring tone.
This can be set by entering the following in the serial terminal:
AT+SCDM= followed by a number between 1-15 (1-15 are preset melody's within the gsm module).

To answer an incoming call just use the following serial terminal command:
ATA

I managed to pick up a very cheap headset, which came with two 3.5mm (3 way) jack connections - 1x for Mic and 1x for headset speaker. I also purchased two Sparkfun Audio jack breakout boards and jack plugs.
The links below to the jack breakout board and jack plug, you can get these from many suppliers.
Breakout board
Jack Plug

Then connected up in the following way, the images should show you which colour wire goes to the shield and breakout board. The one image with the headset shows a Pink jack plug this is for the Mic and the Green jack plug is for the Speaker.
headset1.jpg
headset1.jpg (23.92 KiB) Viewed 18610 times
headsetconnection1.jpg
headsetconnection1.jpg (23.77 KiB) Viewed 18610 times
headsetconnection2.jpg
headsetconnection2.jpg (17.98 KiB) Viewed 18610 times
Other notes:
I found whatever I did, even sending the correct AT command and confirming it was set I could not get the Speaker volume to change :(

I hope that someone else finds this information useful as I couldn't find anything else on the internet which covered the mic and speaker.
If you don't know what Voltage your country is using, you shouldn't be doing electronics ;-)

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by brad » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:22 pm

Cool bitfogav, so we're you able to make a phone call using your arduino and gsm shield?

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:44 pm

I am indeed Brad able to make a call with an Arduino and Firewing board.. :)

Using the Arduino/Firewing code I posted on the last page the Arduino/Firewing board act like a two way serial terminal, which makes it super easy to connect to the GSM shield via my terminal GUI (which I will post shortly).

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by brad » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:05 pm

So you can use it to dial in to something like an old school BBS and interact in that sort of a fashion?

(image from engadget)

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:58 pm

No, but that would be cool.. I ment a two way serial has in the arduino communicates to the pc and pc to arduino. :)

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:32 am

Maybe Stacy could use it to turn his new fridge lights on and off :)

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:51 am

Here is the GSM tool which will make it easier to communicate with the GSM module, the GUI basically just sends serial commands to the GSM via a Com Port.. Works with Arduino and Firewing boards.. I tried to keep the GUI universal but some functions my only work with certain mobile networks..

Below is an example image of the GUI in a connected state with the PC, you may have to reset the GSM module and wait for the command +SIND: 4 on the terminal window which is the command from the GSM module which means the GSM is ready!.. I've made a few calls and sent many sms using this tool, its been great fun!.

Note: Not all functions of the GSM module is supported with this GUI (e.g. network data), but it should operate the basic commands and you can always manually enter the GSM commands into the Send box as you would any serial comms terminal and process the function that way.
gsmworking.jpg
gsmworking.jpg (28.07 KiB) Viewed 18520 times
The software that I have shared here is only shared for fun!.. :)
GSM SM5100 Terminal v1.0.zip
(56.67 KiB) Downloaded 620 times

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:29 pm

Very nice work bitfogav!