PicNDuino Convertor Board - Running 32x32 RGB display

Post here to let others know of a project you're working on.

Moderators: Chuckt, Garth, bitfogav

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
bitfogav

PicNDuino Convertor Board - Running 32x32 RGB display

Post by bitfogav » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:25 pm

Hi guys,

I got the same 32x32 RGB display has Brad, And running it with a PicNDuino ment using lots of wires to control the display and it just looked untidy and not only that I wanted something where I could easily disconnect and assemble the display quickly, because connecting each wire from pin to pin surely takes awhile!. :lol:

So I've made a DIY pcb Convertor for the Display and PicNDuino board!..

Also while designing the board I wanted a way of powering up the PicNDuino from the same power supply as what is used to power up the Display, so the power line is connected to the 5v rail on the PicNDuino (note: that I'm using a Mains Regulated 5v power supply - so not to burn out the PicNDuino board). So if I wanted to hang the display somewhere, then it means I only needed to connect the power supply to the board and everything runs nicely..

Programming the PicNDuino is still easily done by connecting the USB to the PicNDuino, ive had no problems there..
The board connections are the same has the following Swordfish code:

Code: Select all

Dim RedData0 As PORTB.0
Dim RedData1 As PORTB.1
Dim GreenData0 As PORTB.2
Dim GreenData1 As PORTB.3
Dim BlueData0 As PORTB.4
Dim BlueData1 As PORTB.5
Dim Latch As PORTB.6 
Dim OutputEnable As PORTB.7
Dim RowA As PORTC.0
Dim RowB As PORTC.1 
Dim RowC As PORTC.2
Dim RowD As PORTC.3
Dim CLK As PORTC.4
justBoard.jpg
Heres the pcb board after etching - its not perfect and one small repair had to be made to one trace.
justBoard.jpg (39.53 KiB) Viewed 15690 times
TopNBottomview.jpg
Top and Bottom view of the Diptrace pcb design.
TopNBottomview.jpg (67.94 KiB) Viewed 15690 times
Sorry I dont have a schematics, everything was just done by manual routing in Diptrace..
everythingConnected.jpg
Everything connected up to the display
everythingConnected.jpg (42.74 KiB) Viewed 15690 times
3232converter v1.rar
Diptrace files
(9.17 KiB) Downloaded 611 times
If anyone has any questions or wants to know more then please ask :)
If you don't know what Voltage your country is using, you shouldn't be doing electronics ;-)

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: PicNDuino Convertor Board - Running 32x32 RGB display

Post by brad » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:40 pm

One step ahead of the curve Bitfogav!

I might just have to send the design off to iteadstudio for a pack of 10 PICnDuino to 32x32 matrix converter boards!

By the way I've been meaning to (and I will soonish) put up my latest project. I have managed to get a PS/2 mouse working with the picnduino in conjunction with the 32x32 matrix. I have a really cool program running where there are bouncing balls that fall from the screen and reappear up the top if they fall through the bottom of the screen.

You can then move the mouse around and paint pixels anywhere on the screen. Whenever a ball hits a pixel it bounces off, you can then draw whatever you want and the balls then bounce all around the screen off of your drawings. You can also erase individual pixels with the right mouse button or the whole screen with both buttons pressed. It's a very cool effect (video to come when I have it documented)

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:49 pm

brad wrote:By the way I've been meaning to (and I will soonish) put up my latest project. I have managed to get a PS/2 mouse working with the picnduino in conjunction with the 32x32 matrix. I have a really cool program running where there are bouncing balls that fall from the screen and reappear up the top if they fall through the bottom of the screen.

You can then move the mouse around and paint pixels anywhere on the screen. Whenever a ball hits a pixel it bounces off, you can then draw whatever you want and the balls then bounce all around the screen off of your drawings. You can also erase individual pixels with the right mouse button or the whole screen with both buttons pressed. It's a very cool effect (video to come when I have it documented)
All that sounds like exciting stuff Brad, ive been pretty tied up with the Firewing Game Shield, I have been doing some old retro games based on your 8x8 game system.. the Car Race was one of the reasons I wanted to get into PIC's..
brad wrote:One step ahead of the curve Bitfogav!
I might just have to send the design off to iteadstudio for a pack of 10 PICnDuino to 32x32 matrix converter boards!

I thought about this too!, in fact I might be able to fit it all in a 5cm X 5cm board if I use both layers! :)
If you don't know what Voltage your country is using, you shouldn't be doing electronics ;-)

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by brad » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:02 pm

I think that's how Stacy got into microcontrollers as well - the 8x8 game system.

Those were the good 'ol days weren't they!

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:33 am

Well here it is!!.. a 5cmX5cm PicNDuino Converter Board for the RGB Display :lol:
32x32Converter2.jpg
32x32Converter2.jpg (70.2 KiB) Viewed 15678 times
3232converter v2 5cmX5cm.rar
(16.2 KiB) Downloaded 607 times

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:02 pm

I'll be ordering some tonight - thanks bitfogav!