Raspberry Pi Assembly Language (for) Beginners

Post here to let others know of a project you're working on.

Moderators: Chuckt, Garth, bitfogav

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Raspberry Pi Assembly Language (for) Beginners

Post by Chuckt » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:52 am

I have a Raspberry Pi and it took me forever to buy it and all of the accessories for it. I was looking for a book on machine language for the ARM Cortex F4 and I stumbled across this book because the Raspberry Pi has an ARM1176JZF-S 700 MHz processor and bare metal programming should be faster than C or Linux.

Raspberry Pi Assembly Language Beginners: Hands On Guide (Volume 1) [Paperback]

http://www.amazon.com/Raspberry-Pi-Asse ... rogramming

The book looks more "old school" to people like me than jumping in and learning Linux or C.

If you research the original plans for the Raspberry Pi, it was originally planned around the Atmel ATmega 644 processor as the original plans were:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi

It looks like a good diversion to help me learn the ST Discovery F4 ARM chip (there is a seperate book for this Microprocessor/CPU) which is what I wanted to do anyway.

The author also has a website and he is quite experienced on ARM:

www.brucesmith.info

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Raspberry Pi Assembly Language (for) Beginners

Post by brad » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:07 pm

Thanks for that Chuck, I have been looking at getting a Raspberry Pi of my own :)

Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Chuckt » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:10 am

I have the book. The program uses line numbers that you would see in a Basic Program like:

100 OPT pass
110 .start
120 ADDS R0, RO, R1
130 MOV R15, R14

On page 193 the author states there is another book called "Raspberry Pi Assembly Language: Advanced Hands On Guide" which "takes you the next step in ARM machine code programming."

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:23 pm

What programs have you written for it so far?

Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Chuckt » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:31 pm

brad wrote:What programs have you written for it so far?
None yet. I've been ordering the Raspberry Pi stuff and was supposed to get it last October and it didn't come until November. I just got a keyboard and mouse for it this month. I will probably have to get a seperate SD card for the assembly language programming so that it can boot from it.

I bought two ARM books for programming and I usually buy two because I don't want to fail. One came from a thrift store called "Good Will" that sells online through ebay and they said all the pages are intact. I got a $45 dollar book for $8.59 with free shipping but the other book is for the Cortex F3 which is $50 with free shipping.

Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Chuckt » Wed May 01, 2013 2:23 am

I also read there are a bunch of emulators including Vice for the Raspberry Pi:

http://chameleon.enging.com/?q=emulators
http://chameleon.enging.com/

At least those old systems won't go to waste on new hardware.

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Sat May 04, 2013 10:40 pm

Vice! Excellent!!!