componet footprints and enclosures

Post here to let others know of a project you're working on.

Moderators: Chuckt, Garth, bitfogav

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
MrDEB
I practically live here!
I practically live here!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

componet footprints and enclosures

Post by MrDEB » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:55 am

Needed a weird smd footprint that Diptrace didn't have (sop18-p-375-1.27) so I tried an idea of creating custom footprints using a scanner and metric ruler. Scan component then insert picture into diptrace. Using the measuring tool and editing using the select arrows to re-size part to coincide to ruler. group then use the pattern editor to add your pads etc.
Tried this method to produce an odd shaped enclosure and it looks like it will work rather well.
Printed out results of smd component and it is right on. I even increased the pad width slightly.
The enclosure shows the top and bottom. Just move the trace pattern over as well as mounting holes. I need to add board outline? but not sure since this is going to be panalized and sent to board house.
The bottom to hold circuit while top holds batteries (NiMh batteries to be soldered in.
Attachments
smd footprint.png
smd footprint.png (371.1 KiB) Viewed 13897 times
enclosure footprints.png
enclosure footprints.png (76.34 KiB) Viewed 13897 times

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: componet footprints and enclosures

Post by brad » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:58 am

Well done, that's a good solution to a missing footprint problem :)

I bought myself a cheap digital caliper and would just measure it and draw it up in the component editor that also works quite well :)

MrDEB
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by MrDEB » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:37 pm

I do that as well but found scanning the part as I described is simpler and IMO very accurate. You just need to use a metric ruler(I like metric better anyway, better accuracy). Works on most any component that will fit in the scanner.
The enclosure footprint is where I got the basic idea.
I suggested this same basic idea over at DDIY and got bounced off again. OFF TOPIC---lol

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:47 pm

Seems to be a handy tip notheless!