PICnDuino - Dual Microcontroller development platform!

Post here to let others know of a project you're working on.

Moderators: Chuckt, Garth, bitfogav

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

PICnDuino - Dual Microcontroller development platform!

Post by brad » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:21 pm

Hi everyone, well it's been months in the making but my latest kickstarter campaign is up and running!
Cover Image Medium.png
Cover Image Medium.png (1.68 MiB) Viewed 23524 times
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/141 ... nt-platfor

It's called the PICnDuino and it's a dual microcontroller direct to USB development platform. It is compatable with Arduino and Amicus18 (and others such as swordfish basic) and doesn't require any extra hardware or programmer to run. Just plug it into USB and get coding!

Check out the Kickstarter campaign and if you could - tell everyone you know about it! (facebook, blogs forums etc...)

Thanks guys!

Saimaster13
I practically live here!
I practically live here!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: PICnDuino - Dual Microcontroller development platform!

Post by Saimaster13 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:37 am

That's perfect! I've been meaning to start getting into PICs, but learning how to program, hook up, code, and debug them seems like a large jump. This project would make it simple by focusing solely on the coding. (I'm definitively supporting it.)

p.s. Microchip should have made an Arduino alternative ages ago.
Joshua

cnribbens
decided to stick around...
decided to stick around...

Post by cnribbens » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:32 am

Haha, cool project!!! The only down side I can find is that the boards are delivered around March 2013. :lol:

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:08 am

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I think that people will actually get them late February but just to be safe, I went with March. The main problem is that Amazon hold payments for 14 before they pass it on, then it can take 5 days to transfer the funds to the manufacturer - so it adds nearly three weeks to the production time just because different companies want to earn some interest!

Glad to get your support by the way, I think you will certainly enjoy using it - it's so easy to use!

Saimaster13
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Saimaster13 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:55 am

Math:
Arduino Uno ~ $30
picKit3 ~ $50
PICnDuino = $17

How can you program these chips for such a low cost? And why are the Arduino and PIC programmers so expensive?

Also, would it be easy to modify the PICnDuino to program other PIC and Atmel chips?
Joshua

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:47 am

It is quite a bit cheaper isn't it :)

Although I have had comments around the internet where people have said the PICnDuino is stupid and why would anyone want to buy it. But I guess you are always going to get people like that...

The PICnDuino is so cheap because the components themselves aren't that expensive, If I get them manufactured by the hundreds - then that brings the costs right down too. The atmega and PIC chips have a bootloader (provided freely by arduino and amicus18 people) which allows you to directly program the chips without the need for a dedicated programmer.

You can use an arduino to program the arduino bootloader onto blank atmega's see here:
http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoISP

the picnduino should be able to do this without any issues but I had better test to make sure :)

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:53 am

Brad wrote:Although I have had comments around the internet where people have said the PICnDuino is stupid and why would anyone want to buy it. But I guess you are always going to get people like that...
Maybe there just gutted they didn't come up with the idea first!?! :lol: I think its a neat design, and hoping that it reaches its backing :) I want one in every colour! :D
If you don't know what Voltage your country is using, you shouldn't be doing electronics ;-)

Saimaster13
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Saimaster13 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:42 pm

you can use an arduino to program the arduino bootloader onto blank atmega's
You can, but it will not program code into a bootloaded Arduino unless you take the Atmega chip off of the first Arduino.
Joshua

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:35 pm

I thought there was a problem with programming pre-installed Atmega's (I had a few issues when experimenting with my picnduino initially)

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:42 am

Very close now to the pledge :lol: I hope it keeps going up after.
picduino.jpg
picduino.jpg (25.9 KiB) Viewed 23477 times
If you don't know what Voltage your country is using, you shouldn't be doing electronics ;-)

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:06 am

How cool does this look:
screen-capture-1.png
screen-capture-1.png (92.42 KiB) Viewed 23473 times
If you have a look at other successful kickstarter campaigns, it appears that funding seems to dramatically increase towards the end of the campaign. How cool would it be to get up to $34,000!

Saimaster13
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Saimaster13 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:03 pm

How cool does this look
Very.
Joshua

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:05 am

We did it!
screen-capture-11.png
screen-capture-11.png (63.28 KiB) Viewed 23462 times

MrDEB
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by MrDEB » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:14 am

I can't wait until I get my unit.

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:00 pm

You should have some great fun with it!