What is the best Real Time Clock?

Post here to let others know of a project you're working on.

Moderators: Chuckt, Garth, bitfogav

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Saimaster13
I practically live here!
I practically live here!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

What is the best Real Time Clock?

Post by Saimaster13 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:40 pm

I'm wanting to make a clock or two driven by a microcontroller, and an RTC seems to be the way to go. So, what is the best RTC to get? Anyone have a favorite or most reliable one?
Joshua

bitfogav

Re: What is the best Real Time Clock?

Post by bitfogav » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:05 am

The most common one seems to be a DS1307 RTC. a great tutorial Ive used before is here DS1307 tutorial. More info here aswell on the DS1307 RTC RTC digital-DIY. Ive also used the microchip MCP79410 RTC :)
If you don't know what Voltage your country is using, you shouldn't be doing electronics ;-)

Saimaster13
I practically live here!
I practically live here!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Saimaster13 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:11 am

Thanks! Just what I needed to know, and a tutorial of how to use it, I'll be sure to order some 1307s soon.
Joshua

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:30 pm

Youve got me interested. What are you making

Saimaster13
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Saimaster13 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:34 am

Well... I was planning on making a watch displaying time in octal. It would have 6 RGB LEDs, 2 for seconds, 2 for minutes, and 2 for hours. Each color (red, purple, blue, light blue, green, yellow, white) would represent an octal digit.

Also, I was wanting to make a scrolling binary clock. It would have three 16 rows of RGB LEDs, for mins, secs, hours. It would display time in binary, 1s would be represented by a color and 0s would be represented by a color and the colors would scroll across the row of LEDs.

Yup, that would be what I am planning.
Joshua

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:48 am

Sounds very cool - definitely a good conversation starter.

The perfect watch to take to some type of electronics convention!

Have you seen that you can get tiny RGB LED's (1mm x 1mm)

http://au.mouser.com/new/lumex/lumexrgb0404/

(image taken from the mouser site)

Saimaster13
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Saimaster13 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:03 am

And how am I supposed to do anything with them? They are very awesome though, but I do not have the tools for anything that small...
Joshua

Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Chuckt » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:02 am

Saimaster13 wrote:And how am I supposed to do anything with them? They are very awesome though, but I do not have the tools for anything that small...
Have you read the datasheet? It might give you some clues.

I haven't played with anything that small but you probably need ESD tweezers, a magnifying glass if you are over 40 and a small soldering iron with a 1/61 inch tip and use solder and flux. It would probably be good to have a circuit board made with one of these programs like Eagle, Diptrace, etc so you can be more exact on placing it.

You might want to investigate GPS for a real time clock. They might be more accurate and you won't have to reset your clock for the right time.

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:23 pm

Yeah - they're small :)

But how cool would they look in a watch!

Garth
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Garth » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:11 pm

If using a microcontroller, why not just have its clock frequency crystal-controlled, and set up a time to interrupt at every rollover and do the RTC in software instead of using a separate RTC IC.
http://WilsonMinesCo.com/ lots of 6502 resources

Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Chuckt » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:21 am

There is a DS1307 sold by Mouser. It is accurate to within 2 seconds a day.

http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=DS1307

For something more accurate, there is the DS3231 sold by Mouser:

http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=DS3231

There are breakout boards for both of them sold on the internet.