RPG game + LED pixel game system hardware

Post here to let others know of a project you're working on.

Moderators: Chuckt, Garth, bitfogav

bitfogav

Re: RPG game + LED pixel game system hardware

Post by bitfogav » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:11 pm

Im adding them RGB boards to my next order! :lol:
Saimaster13 wrote:I was going to upgrade from the 8x8 matrix to a 16x16, and I started to work on it, but without etching (which I do not know how to do,) just connecting wires on the bottom of the board would be... impossible, not to mention easy to mess up or break once it is finished.
This brings back memories? I remember connecting up all 9 matrix's (24x24 display) using wires to connect up all the pins on a prefab board.. :roll: alot of work, the days before I had my pcb making kit :)
24x24led_1942.jpg
The wiring is not complete yet in this image.
24x24led_1942.jpg (76.98 KiB) Viewed 19287 times
If you don't know what Voltage your country is using, you shouldn't be doing electronics ;-)

Saimaster13
I practically live here!
I practically live here!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Saimaster13 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:52 am

That looks like way too much work. So, it could easily be done etching though? If I were to start PCB making, where would I start (since I know nothing about it right now?)
Joshua

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:37 am

I made a post awhile ago about pcb etching, this may help.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=284&p=1522#p1522
If you don't know what Voltage your country is using, you shouldn't be doing electronics ;-)

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by brad » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:49 am

Etching PCB's can be time consuming and frustrating but rewarding when you get it right!

I have given up on making boards because it was very much hit and miss for me. I now just send my board designs to iteadstudio and a couple of weeks later my boards arrive in the mail! they're soo cheap!

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:10 am

brad wrote:Etching PCB's can be time consuming and frustrating but rewarding when you get it right!
Yeah very true Brad it can be time consuming, for myself if I have to make a second board for any reason using etching chemicals etc then its usually because ive goofed up the design :lol: I found its always good to spend alot of time heating up the etching paper when applying it to the cooper board.
brad wrote:I have given up on making boards because it was very much hit and miss for me. I now just send my board designs to iteadstudio and a couple of weeks later my boards arrive in the mail! they're soo cheap!
Yeah thats arite if you dont goof up the design? else its another few weeks :roll: :lol:

Saimaster13
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Saimaster13 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:21 am

So, what is cheaper? Iteadstudio or etching your own boards?
Joshua

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:33 pm

Iteadstudio!

Making them yourself can be rewarding how ever you need to buy blank PCB's and etching solution. Then you need to have all the right tools like something to cut the PCB's out with, a laser printer, drill and drill bits etc...

Saimaster13
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Saimaster13 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:38 am

I might have a laser printer... and my dad and granddad have a bunch of tools, especially drills.
Joshua

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:21 am

The Drill bits will need to be less around 1mm or thinner and you just need to be careful not to snap them. (like I kept doing...)

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:39 am

I used to use tungsten carbide drill bits, the only problem is there not cheap :cry:
51_1.jpg
51_1.jpg (32.81 KiB) Viewed 19268 times

Saimaster13
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Saimaster13 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:57 am

Alright, I got two of those LED screens Brad. I really hope you are feeling helpful since I have no idea how to start connecting stuff to be able to run them.
Joshua

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:26 pm

No worries - we'll get it all sorted for you :)

Did you get the RGB or single color version?

Saimaster13
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Saimaster13 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:28 am

RGB version, the 10mm ones you suggested here:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/10mm-pix ... 72520.html.

I have no idea where to begin hooking it up/programming.
Joshua

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:40 am

I have to head off to work, but let me see what I can do for you when I get home.

Saimaster13
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Saimaster13 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:41 am

Sounds good, and thanks!
Joshua