Making a POV led Globe

Post here to let others know of a project you're working on.

Moderators: Chuckt, Garth, bitfogav

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by brad » Wed May 26, 2010 6:08 am

aliw wrote:Ok but for the 96 led's I will need to use 74373's for the enables that gives me a headake :shock: because it's a little messy. so is there a way to make this simpler? (that I don't need to use 74373's for the enables?) Hope there is :? :P

and I know that when you type in the part number in google the whole datasheet will come up. But what I ment was that the numers itself tell you something for example 18F4420. that the 18F means that there are 18 output pins and 4420 is the ram of it or something.(I know that wat I just wrote here is completely not true but it is just to make the question more understandable.)
Unfortunately the only way around it is to use 74373's to control each latch enable. I have done this before and it is a little bit of a challenge - but that is the best way to learn!

The numbers really have no special significance in that they don't tell you anything about the features of the chip or memory capacity etc...

However, the 74 prefix (in regards to the 74373) tells us that it belongs to the TTL family of chips (which means this chip has been made using transistors, resistors and diodes). The 373 at the end is just to set it apart from all other 74 series chips.

It's a little bit like a laptop for instance. You can get a 17" apple laptop or a 15" apple laptop or even a 13" apple laptop. In all of these cases the prexif is the same (I.E. they are all part of the apple family) but then the model number is different because the laptops are all different.

Like wise, you can get a whole heap of different 74 series chips, and then the numbers after them just set it apart from the rest. We can then look up google or a databook to understand what it is that that particular part number does.

It is very similar with say an 18f4550 microcontroller. 18f tells us that it belongs to the 18f family of pic microcontrollers, then the 4550 is a unique part number that we can then look up to find out everything there is to know about that chip.

aliw
decided to stick around...
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by aliw » Fri May 28, 2010 5:17 am

Why this microcontroller has 2× a Vdd and 2× Vss? Do I have to use both of these?

And how do I add a 74373 and a Pic 18F4520 in Eagle 5.9.0? I couldn't find these.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (42.24 KiB) Viewed 17842 times

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Fri May 28, 2010 6:10 am

Good question!

My understanding is that they have two vdd and and two vss connections for two reasons. The first might be if you were using all I/O pins and drawing max current through them. If you then doubled the width of your power supply connections (by having two of them) then you should have no trouble drawing that much current.

OR

If that is not the case, then it could simply have two of each to make designing a PCB easier. for example you could be designing a PCB and you leave the VDD and VSS connections until last. One side of the chip may be cluttered with PCB tracks and would make it near impossible to get two more tracks to the VDD and VSS connections on that side of the chip.

This is where you can then use the other side of the chip.

You don't need to connect both of them - either side will do.

I haven't used eagle in a long time so I am not sure about those chips sorry.

aliw

Post by aliw » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:55 am

Brad - Do you know where to buy those 74373's (please give me a link). My project is going well and my full schematic is near completion! however I've tryed to add my microchip to eagle but with no succes. But I've drawed the IC's with wires. you will see when it's done!

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:45 am

aliw wrote:Brad - Do you know where to buy those 74373's (please give me a link). My project is going well and my full schematic is near completion! however I've tryed to add my microchip to eagle but with no succes. But I've drawed the IC's with wires. you will see when it's done!
aliw - to draw a microchip 18f4520 in Eagle you need to click on the ADD icon and then type this into the search PIC18F4* then you will have to add a PIC18F4455 and then change the VALUE of the chip to 18F4520. :)

Also you can get 74373's from alot of places, EBAY is your best place.

Or Link below

http://uk.farnell.com/fairchild-semicon ... atch=rel_1

aliw

Post by aliw » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:35 am

Thanks, but I still can't add this PIC :( take a look at this picture
http://www.bradsprojects.com/phpBB2/dow ... p?id=101re.
Attachments
Captre.JPG
Captre.JPG (71.5 KiB) Viewed 17813 times

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:04 am

As for the 74373's ebay definitely is the place to go!

here's a link to a lot of 10 chips for $3.99 including delivery.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-10-X-74HC373-74 ... 335d33220c

I am not too sure about eagle, it has been a while since I have used it and don't have it on my computer at the moment.

bitfogav - any suggestions?

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:37 am

Yes okay :)

Try this? open Eagle, you will need to click on 'Library' and then select 'Use' (this will open a seperate window)

Now enter microchip.lbr in file name and click on open.

Now click onto the ADD tab and type PIC18F4* and click OK..
thats it wow it works :D

Attachments
select libary.jpg
select libary.jpg (26.34 KiB) Viewed 17789 times
open microchip.jpg
open microchip.jpg (71.83 KiB) Viewed 17789 times
18F.jpg
18F.jpg (87.8 KiB) Viewed 17789 times

aliw

Post by aliw » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:35 pm

Thanks alot it worked! :D

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:03 am

aliw wrote:Thanks alot it worked! :D
Im glad I can help :)

Heres how you can find a 74373 chip aswell :)

Go to LIBRARY again and click on 'USE' and then type this 74ttl-din.lbr into the file name and then CLICK on open.

Now go to the ADD icon and type 74373* and then it will come up like this :)

Attachments
74373 libary.jpg
74373 libary.jpg (76.63 KiB) Viewed 17776 times
74373.jpg
74373.jpg (61.1 KiB) Viewed 17776 times

sdudley

Post by sdudley » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:02 pm

If you find yourself in need of having create your own part numbers and footprints for eagle, below is a link to a great tutorial on sparkfun that will walk you through it.

I had to create a couple of my own footprints for one of my projects because I could not find the parts listed in any of the libraries I had downloaded.

It was a little time consuming for the first but the next couple went a little faster.

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/tutori ... als_id=110

It's a little dated from the version of Eagle you might be using, but you should be able to go through it no problem.

Stacy
Any time you deviate from sequential consistency, you increase the complexity of the problem by orders of magnitude.

aliw

Post by aliw » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:47 am

I've completed my first schematic now. But how do I upload that .sch file?
It's to big to make a screanshot.

And thanks, Stacy for the tutorial I took a look at it and it explains alot.

sdudley

Post by sdudley » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:55 am

aliw wrote:I've completed my first schematic now. But how do I upload that .sch file?
It's to big to make a screanshot.

And thanks, Stacy for the tutorial I took a look at it and it explains alot.
No problem. For the schematic, if it is that large, I would suggest to create a zip file and upload that.

Stacy
Any time you deviate from sequential consistency, you increase the complexity of the problem by orders of magnitude.

aliw

Post by aliw » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:47 am

Ok so here it is!
http://www.bradsprojects.com/phpBB2/upl ... c1_683.zip

I will make a second one with the IC's in it.
In the in the meantime have a look to my schamatic and correct me if I made any mistake. Also if you have any questions feel free to ask.
Attachments
Schematic1.zip
(66.13 KiB) Downloaded 573 times

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:42 pm

aliw wrote:Ok so here it is!
http://www.bradsprojects.com/phpBB2/upl ... c1_683.zip

I will make a second one with the IC's in it.
In the in the meantime have a look to my schamatic and correct me if I made any mistake. Also if you have any questions feel free to ask.
Wow man, that is one impressive schematic - check out all of those 74373's!!!

I can tell you that it will be a learning experience to program but you will have a lot of fun with it :)