question about data sheets

Post here to let others know of a project you're working on.

Moderators: Chuckt, Garth, bitfogav

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
waywardson07
decided to stick around...
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

question about data sheets

Post by waywardson07 » Sun May 13, 2012 9:15 am

ok so i have a question about the pic data sheets.
in this picture below you can see that there is arrows to indicate witch pins are I/O pins. and witch ones are just in or just out.

and in this photo of another chip you can see that it does not tell you that so how do i know ?

and the last question is. from these data sheets do they also specify is the chip is surface mount or not ?

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: question about data sheets

Post by brad » Sun May 13, 2012 10:04 am

That does seem strange that they aren't showing if it is an input, output or both. You can however check by looking up each of the different ports and it will give you detailed information about that port for example:
screen-capture-4.png
screen-capture-4.png (31.69 KiB) Viewed 6693 times
The pic above shows that PORTA for this chip is an 8 bit bi-directional port (so each pin can be set as either an input or an output.)

As for if it is surface mount or throughhole, you can get basically any PIC in either of these types of packages. You just need to select the correct one when ordering. If you wanted surface mount, you need to choose the QFN version. If you want throughhole then you want PDIP:
screen-capture-5.png
screen-capture-5.png (74.7 KiB) Viewed 6693 times

waywardson07

Post by waywardson07 » Sun May 13, 2012 3:50 pm

Again brad thank you for the help. This website has helped me out a lot and i just want to say thank you to you and everyone else on here! :shock:

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Sun May 13, 2012 7:46 pm

Usually if it doesn't indicate the direction of the Pin then usually all pins are Bidirectional I/O pins. But like Brad says you may have to check the Datasheet more to confirm this.

And you can tell if its a surface mount chip or not by looking at the package type, usually near the top left of the diagram.

Example:
package1.jpg
package1.jpg (34.87 KiB) Viewed 6689 times
package2.jpg
package2.jpg (24.05 KiB) Viewed 6689 times
Has Brad also pointed out any package type that has PDIP then this is a Through Hole package anything else is usually Surface mount. Be careful though because not all of the Microchips are 5volt, some are 3.3 and some have 5volt tolerant pins.