Wireless Projects with microchips

Post here to let others know of a project you're working on.

Moderators: Chuckt, Garth, bitfogav

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Sat May 22, 2010 7:09 pm

Now that I have the transmitter and receiver codes complete I came up with this idea to make a Transceiver, I have integrated the two souce codes on this page and wired another transmitter and receiver on the same board to a 16F648A microchip, it works good on breadboard so I am going to make it onto a prototype board..

I will make up some schematics and release the tranceiver code soon

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by brad » Sat May 22, 2010 9:33 pm

I have to say that I am really impressed with this whole project, I have looked through the source code and schematics and it has all come together just great!

How long have you been working with microcontrollers? he product you are putting out is of a fantastic standard. Where did you learn all your programming techniques?

When I get the time, and if you'd like to write up a page for the project, I'd be keen to upload it to the site. There would be so many uses for this, especially the transceiver.

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Sat May 22, 2010 9:54 pm

Hey Brad, I started looking into microchips about a year ago, I have spent many hours reading books and looking at other peoples projects and souce codes to help me learn how to get around things, I have alot of time and patience I guess and I just enjoy making things work. also I have a family member that does alot of computer programming and a family memeber that knows alot about electrics, so they both have helped me along the way.

I am really impressed about all your projects too and enjoy getting out your 8x8 matrix car game that I built onto a circuit board :)

I know it looks abit messy lol :)

Attachments
8x8_car_game.jpg
8x8_car_game.jpg (61.38 KiB) Viewed 15586 times
8x8 car game.jpg
8x8 car game.jpg (75.77 KiB) Viewed 15617 times

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Sat May 22, 2010 11:16 pm

Slight change of plan I am going to use a 16F876A for the transceiver as I want more inputs and outputs.. :)

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by brad » Sun May 23, 2010 10:23 pm

Cool looking game system you have there :)

I have been thinking for a while to make a two player game system where you could (perhaps) play via wireless link.

I was in the process of designing one quite a few months ago but haven't actually finished it. My original design just used wires to connect the two games together.

By the way, for only been having used microcontrollers for a year, your skill level is quite impressive.

I think it would be great if we all lived close to each other - then we could meet up and build some crazy big project!

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Mon May 24, 2010 3:29 am

Yeah wished we did live closer then we surely could make some amazing things!! or one big project.. I have a close friend that moved to australia a few years ago and another friend who has just moved back from there aswell :) surely its nicer weather there than it can be here in the UK!! hehe!

Anyway ive been working on this most of the weekend so here is the code which I have integreted from the transmitter and receiver project and made one tranceiver :)

http://www.bradsprojects.com/phpBB2/upl ... 6a_144.asm
Attachments
Wireless Transceiver 876A.asm
(31.91 KiB) Downloaded 481 times

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Mon May 24, 2010 3:31 am

And heres the prototype board that ive also made..

Attachments
Transceiverv1.jpg
Transceiverv1.jpg (37.25 KiB) Viewed 15599 times

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Mon May 24, 2010 6:05 am

Here are the schematics for the transceiver, ive done it in two parts but they should be easy to follow..

click on the links to download

PART ONE

http://uploading.com/files/fac5bef5/tra ... PART1.sch/

PART TWO

http://uploading.com/files/ef6f1831/Tra ... PART2.sch/

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Tue May 25, 2010 6:12 am

Very nice indeed :)

Have you thought of what you might use the transceiver for? Got a project in mind for it?

What kind of range are you getting with it and have you had any errors with it or does it work perfect all the time (when in range)

Last question, looking at your code, it seems that you can only press one button at a time - is this correct?

Oh and as for the schematic files, you just need to put them into a .zip format and then you will be able to upload them.

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Tue May 25, 2010 9:00 am

Well to be honest with you I have only tried it the length of the back garden haha! and measured it to be 10 meters from the transmitter to the receiver, dont seem to get any errors, but I am not using the correct 50ohm coax antenna and the transmitter was only running from a 9volt battery so not really using the full potential, but the transmitter datasheet does say it will go 1000meters but I cant see that myself?, these are very cheap transmission modules hehe!

I was thinking of making a few projects using these, like controlling relays or operating some disco lights?, But I am going to make a device from the receiver module, as you know I work with cars and we have problems with the alarm system remote always failing, so I was going to make a device that can detect a signal from the remote, as the remotes work on the same 433mhz, so then I know if the fault is with the remote or the car itself? it will be a simple tester :)

theres also a possibility that I might add a lcd screen to the transceiver or even connect it to a computer and control it from there?

and as for the last question yes you can only press one button at a time, but I guess you could change the code to suit any project or game system, theres even a possibility to add more data packets in the code to send more data, so instead of sending 52bits for one key press, instead you could send another data packet and send 62bits (=two key presses) of data in one transmission? I hope that makes sense? :)

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Mon May 31, 2010 8:08 am

Just a update to the Transmitter and Receiver Project..

I have brought some 50ohm coax and tested it with these projects, But I have found that it has no advantage with these transmitters or receivers..

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Mon May 31, 2010 8:27 pm

bitfogav wrote:Just a update to the Transmitter and Receiver Project..

I have brought some 50ohm coax and tested it with these projects, But I have found that it has no advantage with these transmitters or receivers..
Hmm, how did you terminate them?

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Mon May 31, 2010 8:48 pm

Well I peeled back the outter metal around the tip and cut it back about 1cm so I just had the inner wire sticking out of the top, if that makes sense?

Do you reckon I should have used a connector of some sort on the end of the coax?

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Mon May 31, 2010 8:54 pm

Yes :)

We also teach radio communications and radar etc... (I myself don't teach it but others are whips at this sort of stuff)

Anyway, you need to have everything matched perfectly otherwise you get whats called standing waves. This is where you haven't terminated the wire correctly and you have an impedence mis-match. The transmitted signal gets reflected back into the transmitter and dramatically reduces the power output.

I should ask them the best way to go about doing it...

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Mon May 31, 2010 8:59 pm

Ahhh yeah that makes more sense now :)

Another question though, can you ask if it is best to connect the outter sheild to GND? because these modules dont have a connection on them other than a hole to solder the inner part of the coax too..