one chip POV display

Post here to let others know of a project you're working on.

Moderators: Chuckt, Garth, bitfogav

MrDEB
I practically live here!
I practically live here!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: one chip POV display

Post by MrDEB » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:53 am

still want to get that graphic prg working but had an idea that might be really interesting addition!!
Have a USB interface on the board
THEN
using say a USB flash drive, one could install a graphic into the PIC circuit (an eprom) then the POV could be used like one of those electronic picture frames.
Would love to get this developed by say late June or mid July.
County fair in August and willing to share profits

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by brad » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:55 pm

Why about using an sd card?

MrDEB
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by MrDEB » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:10 am

Here is the DIPTRACE file for the POV schematic.
Plan to use right angle 41 pin headers cut down for amount needed.
Note I am using 9+V to power the LEDs and every 4th pin is 9+V for ease in trace routing I hope. (clusters of 4 pins make one RGB LED)
Looked good but ?
I have a large supply of right angle headers that I got for FREE if you want but shipping?
Need to design a PCboard for main componets then boards for SMT LEDs. The display boards are just soldered to the RA headers. Boards are ALL 1x.
Main board is 1x as well. All the SMT componets mount on bottom of board and through hole parts on top.
Attachments
POV display.zip
compressed file
(12.34 KiB) Downloaded 514 times

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:11 am

Nice schematic MrDEB, although you will want to put your resistors on the other side of the ULN2803.

The ULN2803 has inbuilt resistors for the base to provide direct drive from a microcontroller, it then effectively creates a short circuit to ground for your output. Since you don't have any resistors on your output, you will most probably destroy your LED's.
Attachments
screen-capture.png
screen-capture.png (15.99 KiB) Viewed 8818 times

MrDEB
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by MrDEB » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:48 am

Good point. I was wondering why I kept getting a short when doing an ERC (only one of the ULN2803s showed shorts.
Going to put resistors on other side (need to compute resistance for each color) Need to change order of connections as the PCboard design would necessitate a 2x board. Have done 2x boards with some success but if I can do with a 1x board then great.
You missed that I forgot to put the Hall sensor in the circuit.
Still having issues with saving a pattern/component. I messed up my libraries I think. Hard to find anything.
Plan is to create a schematic with the usual standard parts (diodes, resistors, dip switches etc) then just revert back to that schematic when creating a new design. Searching the libraries every time is tedious and not to fruitful.
Thanks for pointing out the resistor issue.

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:49 pm

I have to agree with you. Searching the library in diptrace schematic is not much fun at all and is SLOW!

The PCB editor is just brilliant though :D

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:55 am

brad wrote:I have to agree with you. Searching the library in diptrace schematic is not much fun at all and is SLOW!

The PCB editor is just brilliant though :D

I was waiting for someone to mention about searching Diptrace librarys, I have to agree too that its no fun whether its a schematics or pcb design?

So I made my own library :D easy enough with PCB editor :)

Link to my library:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=341