one chip POV display

Post here to let others know of a project you're working on.

Moderators: Chuckt, Garth, bitfogav

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: one chip POV display

Post by brad » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:32 pm

You need to place the files in the c:\povdata folder

can you access c:\ from windows?

I am running windows XP, so I am not sure what you can do with the new windows.

Normally I just click 'start' 'run' and then type in c:\ then hit 'enter'

The good thing with POV displays is that you don't have to be dead accurate. Just try some code, run up your display and see what happens. Then either increase / decrease your motor speed and/or increase / decrease your LED on and off delays.

It's good fun :D

MrDEB
I practically live here!
I practically live here!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by MrDEB » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:03 am

This image shows the TEX files in the POVDATA folder

I am going to download again and start from scratch.
Hopefully Windows 7 will be able to run the program.

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:46 am

You need to copy the povdata folder to your main hard drive which is usually C:\

So the directory looks something like this c:\povdata

Thats all I done and the programme ran fine, Looking at your picture your povdata folder is in your Documents folder?, Brads software wont find the povdata folder because it only looks in you main hard drive C:\.

Heres a screen shot of my PC
windowsscreen1.jpg
windowsscreen1.jpg (67.93 KiB) Viewed 14559 times

MrDEB
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by MrDEB » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:47 am

will try moving all the associated files to my C drive main program section as your screen shot.
I was wondering if I need to have VB running to get the program running. I have it on my C drive as well but am I supposed to open it first THEN run the POVGRAPHIC file install?
Will try your suggestion first (I think I already have it on my C drive as I recall making a new folder but ?

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:13 pm

You don't need visual basic / visual studio installed on your computer to run the software. You do need to have the visual basic runtime files in order to run any program that was coded in vb.net

MrDEB
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by MrDEB » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:42 pm

now you lost me?
I assumed I needed Visiual Basic Express to open the posted linked files.
I moved all the posted files to my C drive then ran the setup file. I now get an error something about the files needed are located in a different location.
NEED A DETAILED DESCRIPTION unless the graphic program itself is down loadable?
Been playing with the idea of two LED displays, one board using Hall sensors. One of the displays is set back maybe an inch or 2. maybe get the effect of a graphic (thinking a globe map) on outside display and a time display on inside display. ADDS a 3D effect?
First going to get one display working using my PCboard design. First things first.

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:59 am

If you want to run a program that has been made with vb.net, you don't need to have visual studio installed to run that program. You do need to have visual studio installed if you wanted to modify the program.

If you want to run the program, you do need to have the vb.net framework installed (vb.net framework is not visual studio)

I guess you can think of it like this.

If you had a PDF document and you wanted to open it up and look at it, you would need a PDF reader program. But if you wanted to actually edit the PDF - you would need to open that PDF document in a PDF editing program.

So what I am trying to say is that for you to just open the document, you don't need the full editing program, just the reader.

Likewise with programs made in vb.net, if you just want to run the program you don't need the full 'editor' installed (which is visual studio) you just need to have vb.net framework.

As for the install, it really is straight forward. As long as you have the vb.net framework installed it should work fine.

The POVDATA folder has got nothing to do with the installation of the program. So if you are having problems installing the software, moving the POVDATA folder will not help you at all.

The only time you need the POVDATA folder is when the software has already been installed and you then want to click on the 'GET CODE' button in the software. because it gets some code from the text files.

So, for you to install it all you need to do is make sure you have vb.net framework installed (download from microsoft)

Then double click the setup file in the download link I provided - it will then install.

You can then run the program BUT you won't be able to click 'GET CODE' until you have copied the POVDATA folder to C:\

MrDEB
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by MrDEB » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:39 am

tried downloading vb.net but keep getting vb express studio
Going to retry later as I am getting frustrated trying to get this working.
First going to try using the HxD link you posted where one uses a spreadsheet to design a POV display.

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:04 am

brad wrote:You can then run the program BUT you won't be able to click 'GET CODE' until you have copied the POVDATA folder to C:\
I have to quote you on that one Brad?, When I installed the program (which was located on my desktop) I then tried to run it, I kept getting this error message:
warningmessgae1.jpg
warningmessgae1.jpg (12.04 KiB) Viewed 14543 times
I then copied the Povdata folder into my C:/ as your message above requested and then program runs fine.

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:51 am

Oops, I have to eat my words :oops:

I forgot that on my final release of the software, in an attempt to avoid confusion, I didn't let the program run until it found those files.

I apologize for that.

So yes, in order to run the program, you will need those files in the correct location.

However, it will not effect the installation of the program.

MrDEB
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by MrDEB » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:30 am

got parts today
18F4680, hall effect sensors (4) they are SOT-23 smd
found my smd leds, a double sided scrap copper board (5 x 3.75")
Have a small fan motor (110vac but might opt to use a cpu fan?(big enough?)

even got my 4pdt slide switch for my PIC PDB-40 board.(connected to the ICSP header then can switch from programing mode to UART mode at the flick of a switch, hopefully)

MrDEB
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by MrDEB » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:29 am

DANG it no SMD resistor arrays!!
well here is my new board design with a power ring for Vdd. I put a cap between Vdd & Grd never enough caps?
Plan is two separate displays using SMD LEDs RED ,BLUE, YELLOW, maybe GREEN if I have any. Displays are 180 degrees apart, 24 LEDs per display.
Going to put 2 each in series. (2x12 = 24) 6 columns x 4 rows per display.
Hopefully get resistor arrays by next week? (100 ohm 1/16 watt, 8 resistors per array.)
Attachments
POV board.png
POV board.png (48.81 KiB) Viewed 14538 times

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:55 pm

Love your work!

This is coming along very nicely and am certainly looking forward to seeing your results.

I imagine it would just about get rid of any flicker (rather than using one set of LED's)

MrDEB
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by MrDEB » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:25 pm

hopefully the flicker will be non existent.
I need to add a ground return to my LEDs and thinking maybe adding a transistor switch to the grounds so only one display will be on at a time.
Another thought was to add some ULN2303" to the mix so MORE LEDs could be used. Using the 100 ohm resistor (2 LEDs in series will work but without the transistor switching in theory each port pin will be driving 4 LEDs (wish I had some RGB LEDs)
Another approach would be to divide the input from the Hall sensor by 2 or add another sensor.
LOTS of different ideas.
Another thought I am playing with is to put the LEDs on the end of the board but then flicker may be back?
180 degrees apart may be the ticket.

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:19 pm

I've been using some ULN2803 chips with my current projects. I have also redesigned the LEDBOY using one of those. They can handle 500mA per channel!