24x24 led matrix

Post here to let others know of a project you're working on.

Moderators: Chuckt, Garth, bitfogav

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:11 am

I'm guessing you were going to have some sort of for next loop to draw each column e.g.

Code: Select all

for x = 0 to 23
     PORTB = anodes(x)
     - Then all your other code would be here to call the required graphics -
next
I am certain you could see in the above code that we just keep incrementing x which means we grab a different longword from the array anodes.

what we could do instead is have just one variable called anodes, start with the right most bit as a one and then everytime we call the variable, we just shift it to the left one space.

e.g.

for x = 0 to 23
     PORTB = anodes << (x)
     - Then all your other code would be here to call the required graphics -
next
so all we do is call the one variable, but keep shifting that 1 to the left each time - what do you think?[/quote]

Yeah I was thinking that we could use a NEXT loop to draw each column, your idea of using a shifting system sounds good to me.. I havn't had much time this week, but when I have ive been studying swordfish and basic code so I can gasp the basics and how it works, but has for putting the circuit together I am waiting for a few parts, some different transistors and fets which I want to try out to power the columns, and im also going to try using a uln2803a to sink the current which will be controlled by 74373's.

still havn't found a good manual explaining the commands in basic though, the swordfish complier manual helps a little.. :)

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:22 am

Sounds good to me. Why don't you and Brad go ahead and get started on coding my project...

I'll get back with you when you guys are almost done. :D

What project are you working on then Stacy??

sdudley
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by sdudley » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:42 am

bitfogav wrote:What project are you working on then Stacy??
I am using fast Fourier transforms within a quantum cryptographic infinite loop to create a unistable routine by nesting an algorithm that passes to zero.

If I can excite a periodically poled stoichiometric lithium tantalate substrate to the order of magnitude of a Second-Harmonic Generation with periods as short as 1.3 µm, I think I can get time to fold in on itself.

Can you guys do that for me?

:wink:
Any time you deviate from sequential consistency, you increase the complexity of the problem by orders of magnitude.

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by brad » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:32 pm

sdudley wrote:
bitfogav wrote:What project are you working on then Stacy??
I am using fast Fourier transforms within a quantum cryptographic infinite loop to create a unistable routine by nesting an algorithm that passes to zero.

If I can excite a periodically poled stoichiometric lithium tantalate substrate to the order of magnitude of a Second-Harmonic Generation with periods as short as 1.3 µm, I think I can get time to fold in on itself.

Can you guys do that for me?

:wink:
So many fancy words!

sdudley

Post by sdudley » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:22 am

brad wrote:So many fancy words!
Google's a great thing, isn't it! :lol: <--- oh look, something got stuck in my teeth.
Any time you deviate from sequential consistency, you increase the complexity of the problem by orders of magnitude.

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:02 am

Just an update, I have actually done nothing so far!

This past week, programming has had to have been placed on the shelf due to other bits and pieces that I have had to do. I will see how I go though through this week.

Bitfogav - have you made any progress?

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:06 am

brad wrote:Just an update, I have actually done nothing so far!

This past week, programming has had to have been placed on the shelf due to other bits and pieces that I have had to do. I will see how I go though through this week.

Bitfogav - have you made any progress?
Hey Brad :)

umm no I havn't to be honest, had to work this weekend and other things have come up, I have read the swordfish guide and learnt abit more about basic :)

sdudley

Post by sdudley » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:16 pm

brad wrote:Just an update, I have actually done nothing so far!
This past week, programming has had to have been placed on the shelf due to other bits and pieces that I have had to do...
Oh, do be careful! I put my programming on a shelf a few months ago behind some old books I never read. I can't find it now! :x

Where-oh-where has my programming gone? :cry:

Stacy

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:29 pm

Just thought I would post a screen shot of what I am having made to support this 24x24 led matrix :)

Attachments
24x242.JPG
24x242.JPG (40.43 KiB) Viewed 15612 times

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:35 pm

Thats really cool, did he do that in visual basic?

Do you have to click each individual dot or can you click and then drag your mouse to draw lines etc...?

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:49 am

Hes added some key listeners, so you can hold down a key and move the mouse to draw lines of colour (Red,Green,Orange), or just single dots. He has also added some key listeners for other keys that will turn the whole screen one colour etc.

I have said that maybe at some point we could add boxes which gave you binary code or array data, so you can just copy and paste it into your code? it is still in the early days at the moment so when I have finished the 24x24 matrix circuit we will make changes as we go :)

I would also like to use it to communicate from the PC to the microchip and draw what you are drawing on the PC onto the 24x24 matrix.

I think he made it with a Java based program, I will find out for sure.

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:16 am

Of course it is java! I didn't bother to check the top left of the screenshot before (oops)

I have been using excel to do a similar task which just outputs the data in array form i.e.

const graphic_data(32) blah blah blah...
It's pretty cool what you can do with macros in excel :)

Have you looked into some sort of rs232 protocol?

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:35 am

cool! yeah ive seen what you did with your POV project in excel, pretty good work :) and yeah it is Java, hes going to show me how he did it and give me the programes so I can change and update my 24x24 tool myself :)

And has for rs232 protocol and stuff, I have looked into it. maybe just using the pickit2 usart tool would be an easier way to go.

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:20 am

here is version 7 of the LedGridTool that I am going to use to impliment code and draw graphics hopefully for the 24x24 matrix..

will hopefully get round to finishing my 24x24 circuit soon and then the good bit, SF programming can get going!! :) even though thats going to be a BIG challenge!...

Attachments
ledgridv7.jpg
ledgridv7.jpg (147.6 KiB) Viewed 15589 times

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:58 am

Wow man, that is looking really cool!

So it looks like you are using 2-bit binary for the state of each led

00 = black
01 = red
10 = green
11 = orange

This is quite interesting because I was looking at down it a different way whereby you would have separate red and green data tables. I like it that there are multiple ways of achieving the same result.

When do you think programming can begin?