3MM RGB LEDS

Post here to let others know of great places to buy components etc... online.

Moderators: Chuckt, Garth, bitfogav

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

3MM RGB LEDS

Post by Chuckt » Sun May 16, 2010 11:18 pm

I found this from Hackaday Answers. I have never ordered
from the ebay store so while I don't have any reason to
distrust them, use at your own risk.

http://stores.shop.ebay.ca/bestshop2008 ... ec0Q2em322
Last edited by Chuckt on Sun May 16, 2010 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Chuckt » Sun May 16, 2010 11:21 pm

I suppose if you could spray them with something
you could get something like a "diffused" effect.

Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Chuckt » Sun May 16, 2010 11:26 pm

They also have 3mm led holders. The word
"display" sounds a little confusing so ask questions.

I only posted this for your benefit.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/50-pcs-3mm-Chrome-Me ... 1c0c4d4947

Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Chuckt » Sun May 16, 2010 11:35 pm

I found more sellers.

http://cgi.ebay.com/10x-3mm-Multi-RGB-F ... 45f2e11019

http://cgi.ebay.com/100x-3mm-RGB-Rainbo ... 5ad9094df6

I don't know why I couldn't find them before but the search words for google are:

3mm rgb led

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Mon May 17, 2010 5:56 am

Thanks for those links, but unfortunately they are useless for making POV displays, or game displays etc...

The reason being is that they only have two connections - anode and cathode. When you apply power to one of these, they just cycle through the various colours - you can't actually control the colours at all.

They must have some sort of tiny microchip embedded in them to make it cycle through the colours.

Here is the photo from their listing:

Here is a photo of the manual control rgb LED's with a common anode or cathode and then one leg for each red, green, blue segment:

Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Chuckt » Tue May 18, 2010 10:30 am

Good looking out for us. Thank you for catching that.

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Wed May 19, 2010 6:04 am

Chuckt wrote:Good looking out for us. Thank you for catching that.
He he, no problem!

I too found those when looking for bulk lots of RGB LED's and it took me a little while to figure out why they were just so cheap, then I found that they are not actually controllable.