pickit 2

Post here to let others know of great places to buy components etc... online.

Moderators: Chuckt, Garth, bitfogav

Fluroblue
decided to stick around...
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

pickit 2

Post by Fluroblue » Sun May 01, 2011 5:21 pm

hay guys i went to Jaycarr today and they didn't have pickit 2 so im going to get it online...any recommended sites?

Mitchy

Re: pickit 2

Post by Mitchy » Sun May 01, 2011 6:14 pm

Microchip direct :wink:

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by brad » Mon May 02, 2011 5:56 am

That's where I got mine!

Go direct to microchip for all your microchip needs :D

By the way, The 18f4550 microcontroller which is my favourite right now is about $5 from microchip - but $45 from jaycar!

Fluroblue

Post by Fluroblue » Mon May 02, 2011 5:38 pm

whats the difference between that and the 16f648a?

Mitchy

Post by Mitchy » Mon May 02, 2011 5:57 pm

The 16F range is good, although most devices are 20+ years old. I made this picture a while ago to compare them for those not familiar with microcontrollers :)

Fluroblue

Post by Fluroblue » Mon May 02, 2011 7:01 pm

anything major?

Fluroblue

Post by Fluroblue » Mon May 02, 2011 7:02 pm

well ive got the 16f627a and the 18lf452

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Tue May 03, 2011 6:06 am

I love the analogy there Mitchy!

16f pics are very good, although they do have their problems (which have now been fixed with the newer 18f series)

One such problem that I found quite annoying is the paging issues with the 16f's Basically if your code is large enough, you will have to add some additional code to help the pic figure out what memory location it should be grabbing all of this code from from within it's own program memory.

18f's are also designed for higher level languages like C and basic. Both are very powerful however I am sold on swordfish basic because it is just so easy to use (with a not so steep learning curve)

Mitchy

Post by Mitchy » Tue May 03, 2011 9:21 am

Yep, in many ways the 18F family are far easier to learn on as well.

There is a line in the sand with new devices and their learning curve. The 24Fand dsPIC range have incredibibly more onboard hardware which comes with the added cost of complexity and errata.

Long story short, the 18F range is the happy in between. Support for the 18F range is extensive. If your going to use a HLL such as Swordfish, then check out sfcompiler.co.uk or digital-diy.com for more info.

There are others as well, such as C18. Language selection for the hobbyist usually comes down to what they have experience with, be it Basic or C. You can program in assembly, although it's quite the mind bender if you're not familiar with it.

Fluroblue

Post by Fluroblue » Tue May 03, 2011 2:44 pm

well im learning how to program on python at school but it looks different then the programming you do on the microcontrollers

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Thu May 05, 2011 5:54 am

Although the good thing with programming is that if you know one language, it is not a huge leap to another language because you have already managed to get your brain into a programming sort of mode :)

Fluroblue

Post by Fluroblue » Thu May 05, 2011 6:19 pm

thank goodness... i ordered my pickit 2 from microchipdirect yesterday so now to wait :S

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Sat May 07, 2011 10:49 am

Shipping with microchip is generally pretty quick.

Fluroblue

Post by Fluroblue » Mon May 09, 2011 4:47 pm

i would have got it today but my sister was to lazy to get out of bed to sign for it :'(

Fluroblue

Post by Fluroblue » Tue May 10, 2011 1:34 pm

finally got it time for some experimenting :)