Pickit2 or Pickit3 programmer

Post here to let others know of great places to buy components etc... online.

Moderators: Chuckt, Garth, bitfogav

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
bitfogav

Pickit2 or Pickit3 programmer

Post by bitfogav » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:32 am

I would just like to share my recent experiences.

I have used the microchip Pickit2 programmer for quite awhile now and it is so easy to use, just tell it what chip you are using and upload the HEX file and you are away, you can even power up your project on the breadboard from the little thing aswell.. :)

Now the Pickit3, I have recently purchased one because I wanted to use one Pickit for programming and one Pickit for USART (communications) from my PC.. BUT there seems tobe a few issues, the Pickit3 only works through MPLAB and you have to upload the software upto the pickit3 each time you use the pickit3 and NO USART function with the Pickit3??..

For anyone thinking of buying a Pickit3 i think you are better off staying with a Pickit2 or buying a Pickit2...

Check out this video about the pickit3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjfIS65mwn8

Heres a Pickit3

Heres a Pickit2
Attachments
pickit3.jpg
pickit3.jpg (48.49 KiB) Viewed 13520 times
pickit2-top-450.jpg
pickit2-top-450.jpg (15.74 KiB) Viewed 13520 times

sdudley
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by sdudley » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:29 am

When I decided to give programming microcontrollers a shot, I was originally looking to buy a PICk it 3 (it had just come out) but did a little reseach on the Microchip forums before I did.

I am glad I went with the PICkit 2.

The biggest difference is in the name...

Notice that the third generation is called PICk it 3, and the second generation is called PICkit 2.

Hmmm... very suspicious... :roll:

One good thing came out of it though...

It won the EEVB blog retarted product of the week award! :D

Stacy
Any time you deviate from sequential consistency, you increase the complexity of the problem by orders of magnitude.

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by brad » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:17 am

I have heard that it was quite a step down from the pickit 2.

I wonder why companies do that?

sdudley

Post by sdudley » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:20 am

brad wrote:...I wonder why companies do that?
Did you watch the video? He explains that very well.

He had me laughing pretty good!

:D
Any time you deviate from sequential consistency, you increase the complexity of the problem by orders of magnitude.

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:25 am

Hmm maybe I should go and watch the video!

But first I need to go to work - Will be back this afternoon :D

sdudley

Post by sdudley » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:29 am

brad wrote:But first I need to go to work...
WORK? What is this word you speak? I do not know this.

Hmmm... Some things in life are a mystery to me.

Maybe it is a word native to Australia?

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:39 am

sdudley wrote:
brad wrote:But first I need to go to work...
WORK? What is this word you speak? I do not know this.

Hmmm... Some things in life are a mystery to me.

Maybe it is a word native to Australia?
Yeah you know it's that place that people are taken to to seperate you from your family. they make you do things that you may not really want to do.

bitfogav

Re: Pickit2 or Pickit3 programmer

Post by bitfogav » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:27 pm

Just to let people know that there is now a application out which looks just like the old Pickit2 application software.

It can be downloaded from here: http://www.microchip.com/forums/m500342.aspx it was posted in the microchip forum.
But note the pickit3 still dont have the great tool known as the UART TOOL as the pickit2 as.
pickit3beta.jpg
pickit3beta.jpg (49.41 KiB) Viewed 13432 times

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Pickit2 or Pickit3 programmer

Post by brad » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:56 pm

I have to say, I am really enjoying the pickit 2 UART tool and software, (many thanks to digital-diy for showing me how to use it!)