NTSC or PAL LM1881N IC video sync separator

Post here to let others know of great places to buy components etc... online.

Moderators: Chuckt, Garth, bitfogav

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

NTSC or PAL LM1881N IC video sync separator

Post by Chuckt » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:24 am

http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/467220 ... -nopb.html

I saw this chip being used to create video output on an Arduino. I thought it might be used in creating video for a Microchip pic.

http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaB ... 98/133#133

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by brad » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:04 pm

I actually had a look at these a while back to fix up one of my arcade machines.

I ended up buying a board with an ad725 on it which worked a treat

sdudley

Post by sdudley » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:36 pm

This stuff goes beyond the scope of my knowledge. Maybe I should take a look at Brad's "Generating Video Signals" project page. I have never read through that project because I have so many other things I want to learn.

Chuck, are you designing a project that interfaces with video?
Any time you deviate from sequential consistency, you increase the complexity of the problem by orders of magnitude.

Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Chuckt » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:07 pm

I'm an orphaned computer user. I woke up one day and realized no one was going to do anything with the Commodore IP (intellectual property) so if I want something made then I have to do it with others or by myself. That is why I wanted to learn microprocessors and how to make video but I realize how difficult it will be.

Other people like Jerri Ellsworth probably feel the same way because she is learning to make her own IC's and semiconductors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeri_Ellsworth

http://hackaday.com/2010/03/10/jeri-mak ... -circuits/
http://hackaday.com/2010/05/13/transist ... can-do-it/

This is her lab:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeriellswo ... 161498665/

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:09 am

That is simply amazing!

Did you see how she is reverse engineering the vic chip - I am guessing so she can make one for herself.

But the equipment needed would be unbelievably expensive. I wonder how she is going to do it?

Can't you design a complex chip and have it programmed or burnt or something onto an FPGA?

sdudley

Post by sdudley » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:16 am

Any time you deviate from sequential consistency, you increase the complexity of the problem by orders of magnitude.

Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Chuckt » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:12 am

brad wrote:Can't you design a complex chip and have it programmed or burnt or something onto an FPGA?
This is a little over my head. From what I understand an FPGA has to be turned into an ASIC and FPGA-VHDL isn't easy to be converted unless you go with the brand ALTERA (an assumption). It has to be tested (long and involved process). Unless you know how to do it, you might also have to be paying for sram, pll, io and std cell library IP but you could do it. From what I understand it costs a lot of money and you probably only get a once in a lifetime chance to get it right. Chips use hazardous materials in the making and the disposal process. Remember that Commodore was fined $1,000,000 dollars because they had a tank where they kept the hazardous waste produced from the chips and it leaked. Commodore's MOS building was acquired by their former managers and turned into GMT Electronics. The EPA finally closed them down and ordered the building to be remediated. The users at Amiga.org were under the impression there were masks for the Amiga in the building that should be saved so I contacted the owner he gave me permission to take a few personal pictures of the building. The building was scheduled to be demolished and become a Velodrome if it hasn't already since I've been there. Commodore engineers were looking out the front windows at a golf course if they weren't working.

If I showed you a picture of the back of the building, the building used a lot of electricity and it appeared to be vents for ovens inside of the building. The building was gutted for demolition and there was a flood and the GMT owner considered it (the contents) trash so unfortunately that is the end of the road for anything not saved in the building.

I've also been to places that have had chemical products and they rent out the buildings for office space to pay the taxes and as long as they manufacture at least one product they don't have to scrape all the dirt off of the beadrock and have it incinerated which I think is required by law in some places. Therefore, you would probably have to travel to places in the Far East to probably get one produced unless you did it over the internet.

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:30 pm

Sorry, I didn't mean it to sound like that!

I meant it just as a general statement as if to say, isnt it possible that people can put it all onto one chip! (after learning how to do it of course!)

It's certainly over my head