Breadboard jumpers

Post here to let others know of great places to buy components etc... online.

Moderators: Chuckt, Garth, bitfogav

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
sdudley
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Breadboard jumpers

Post by sdudley » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:15 pm

To anyone who does a lot of work with a breadboard you might find this to be a worth while purchase:

http://www.corobotech.com/index.php?mai ... cts_id=275

I usually just make my own jumpers but these are nice and at this price... well worth it. I just ordered two packs!

Stacy

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by brad » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:17 pm

Nice Mr Dudley, very nice!

Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Chuckt » Mon May 10, 2010 8:33 am

I have a case from Elenco that other distributors were selling for $20 and $15 and the wires are sturdier. Here are 350 wires for a little bit more (without the case):

http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/347

I also found their 1660 point breadboard to be one of the cheapest I've found unless you want to get one off of ebay:

http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/353

sdudley

Post by sdudley » Mon May 10, 2010 10:52 am

I must admit I am a little dissapoined with how thin the wires are that I purchased. :(

Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Chuckt » Mon May 10, 2010 11:35 am

The Elenco wires are not as flexible and some of them are really short.

sdudley

Post by sdudley » Mon May 10, 2010 11:49 am

I usually just hack up some CAT5 cable. That works great! :D

I just saw the fancy ends on the seeedstudio wire and thought it was a great idea. Such a shame it has to be so cheap... literally! :(

Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Chuckt » Mon May 10, 2010 12:48 pm

I don't know what kind of metal is in the Elenco jumper wires but they look the same color as staples; they aren't copper.

The seedstudio wires are convenient and I can live with them for now.

I did a second order at seedstudio because I like their bamboo tweezers and you can only order one at a time. I want to keep static electricity away from my projects.

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Mon May 10, 2010 9:54 pm

Chuckt wrote:I want to keep static electricity away from my projects.
Hang on a sec - I thought we were supposed to inject as much static as possible into the circuit. That's where I am going wrong!

sdudley

Post by sdudley » Mon May 10, 2010 10:01 pm

brad wrote:...I thought we were supposed to inject as much static as possible into the circuit. That's where I am going wrong!
:lol:

Chuck,

Stainless tweezers are anti-static, we use them where I work and we deal with highly sensitive products. Meritline.com has a nice selection for cheap:

http://www.meritline.com/newsearch.aspx ... m=tweezers

Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Chuckt » Tue May 11, 2010 10:14 pm

I wasn't sure about that before. Are anti-magnetic tweezers the same thing?

I suffer from static electricity.

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Wed May 12, 2010 9:49 pm

Do you keep breaking chips?

sdudley

Post by sdudley » Wed May 12, 2010 10:00 pm

Anti-magnetic and anti-static are not the same. Plastic tweezers will build up static electricity. The reason I mention stainless, is because the wont melt or burn when you are using them close to a soldering iron.

The best remedy to stop static build up is to use lotion and keep your skin moist. Obviously a ground strap is great but if you don't have one just make sure you touch something that is grounded before touching electronic components.

If I open my computer case at home, I always make sure to touch the case frame before touching any of the boards inside.

Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Chuckt » Wed May 12, 2010 10:28 pm

brad wrote:Do you keep breaking chips?
I got out of the car yesterday and went to close the door and I got shocked.

We installed a humidifier in our house and I can't walk across the floor without shocking people. I can go down the stairs and I feel static between me and the wall.

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Fri May 14, 2010 6:16 am

You almost sound like a super hero - STATIC MAN!

That much static certainly does sound like a problem, however PIC microchips incorporate diode clamping within them so as to shunt voltages in excess of the their normal operating voltage to either vcc or gnd.

As Stacy mentioned, using an antistatic wrist strap is a sure fire way of riding yourself of static - or you could just touch a ground connection before touching your circuits.