Saleae Logic Analyzer just got a lot better

Post here to let others know of great places to buy components etc... online.

Moderators: Chuckt, Garth, bitfogav

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
bitfogav

Saleae Logic Analyzer just got a lot better

Post by bitfogav » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:10 pm

Brad will probably agree with me here that the Saleae Logic Analyzer is one of the best tools you can have for debugging/testing digital data lines, it surely has saved me a lot of time and frustration when it as come to checking your logic levels and timings. And has helped me find the problem to many protocols I2c, spi, can bus etc..

Well the Logic Analyzer as just got a whole lot better, there new released series now includes analog and many more features, if you want to check them out then you can check them here.
I have just received my Logic 8 Pro and I am extremely happy with it and how it functions, ok it's not cheap but it is worth it!
logicpro.jpg
logicpro.jpg (107.98 KiB) Viewed 14085 times
Here is one of my screenshots as I was testing a digital pin using the analog function, you can see the ripple of the digital pin switching from high to low:
logicSample.jpg
logicSample.jpg (78.36 KiB) Viewed 14084 times
If you don't know what Voltage your country is using, you shouldn't be doing electronics ;-)

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Saleae Logic Analyzer just got a lot better

Post by brad » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:56 pm

I've had my classic Logic for a few years now and it has been fantastic. Such a great tool to use and I found it especially handy when I was first getting used to using the i2c bus. The built in i2c 'decoder' in the Logic software was just wonderful to use.

This pro version looks to be HEAPS better than the classic version!

Does it give you real time analog data (like an oscilloscope) or does it just capture it for you to look at after the capture?

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:24 pm

brad wrote:Does it give you real time analog data (like an oscilloscope) or does it just capture it for you to look at after the capture?
Real time data? That's a good question, At release of the new device it is just capture data but it is something that they have planned to add to the software.
Here are some quotes I have found from the Seleae website:

Question wrote:The software should have a mode that shows you data in real time, similar to a traditional oscilloscope.
Answer wrote:planned · Joe GarrisonJoe Garrison (Co-founder, Saleae) responded

Thanks everyone! Just a few responses for the questions here:
Yes – Logic/Logic16 will be supported for this and all non-analog features.
Yes – we will have analog triggers for this.
We should be able to start working on this shortly after we start shipping the new products.
If you don't know what Voltage your country is using, you shouldn't be doing electronics ;-)

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by brad » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:27 pm

Sorry for the delayed response Gav,

I think that real time data would be fantastic (not that it isn't already!) but certainly for analog signals, it would be very handy to have it operate just like an oscilloscope :)