Small Drone crash lands in Manhattan illegal Drone Video tap

Post here to let others know of a great electronic project video clip.

Moderators: Chuckt, Garth, bitfogav

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Small Drone crash lands in Manhattan illegal Drone Video tap

Post by Chuckt » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:59 am

Small Drone crash lands in Manhattan illegal Drone Video tapes, Flies Over New York City

The video without the news reporters:

News Article:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/2/47954 ... t-new-york

All I could say was "ouch" after I saw the drone hit the building. Maybe the drone is not responsive enough to high winds near buildings?

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Small Drone crash lands in Manhattan illegal Drone Video

Post by brad » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:47 am

What was the drone trying to video in the first place though?

Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Chuckt » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:42 am

I think the drone just went flying.

We had a simple store bought helicopter that was cheap and it didn't have a camera. It probably weighed one or two ounces. It had a two channel I.R. remote. One channel was for up and down and the other one was for left and right. We couldn't control it in the wind when the wind wanted to blow it. It ended up on the neighbor's roof and it fell down.

I think drones need a few more safety features to make them on par or better than real helicopters. I'm guessing they might need a gyroscope and other instruments to make them safer but that also might add to the weight which means bigger motors and batteries.

Because of libel laws or defamation of character, I don't think it is wise to speculate and I don't know.

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:02 pm

Sorry I've been away for a while - have been quite busy :)

My wife actually bought me one like you mentioned that you had for Christmas. I broke it within the first 5 seconds of my maiden flight!

That will teach me to fly it indoors...

Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Chuckt » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:30 am

NEW YORK (WABC) -- He's a musician from Brooklyn but he has struck a wrong note with the NYPD who tracked him down after our story aired and charged the inexperienced, drone operator with reckless endangerment.
http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?secti ... id=9292217

Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Chuckt » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:36 am

brad wrote:Sorry I've been away for a while - have been quite busy :)

My wife actually bought me one like you mentioned that you had for Christmas. I broke it within the first 5 seconds of my maiden flight!

That will teach me to fly it indoors...
We had one of those small little I.R. remote control copters that you can buy for around $25. They are hard to control because you need more commands than left, right, up and down. We played with it indoors for a while and had to replace the plastic rotors more than once until it stopped working.

A salesman at the mall said he wasn't allowed to fly it but so high in the mall because there are rules for him.