Intel vs. AMD - What happens when you remove the fan?

Post here to let others know of a great electronic project video clip.

Moderators: Chuckt, Garth, bitfogav

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Chuckt » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:26 pm

I have seen this before but it is quite interesting and entertaining.

sdudley
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Intel vs. AMD - What happens when you remove the fan?

Post by sdudley » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:05 pm

Interesting. My guess is that the AMD was not designed to run without a fan. :mrgreen:
Any time you deviate from sequential consistency, you increase the complexity of the problem by orders of magnitude.

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:56 pm

It's quite amazing how quickly they heat up!

Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Chuckt » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:40 am

What I've learned since posting this is they were old chips and they have fixed the problem.

They've made improvements in speed with the architecture rather than bumping up the clock speed. Now they solder the heatsink/fan on the CPU so there is no longer a danger of them falling off. They abandoned the netburst architecture and went back to the P3 CPU design which is more efficient at lower clock speeds and in 2001 Intel was the only company to have good thermal protection.

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:56 am

I do remember reading something about how the PIII chip was quite a good design. Much better than the P4