Seeed Studio Factory

Post here to let others know of a great electronic project video clip.

Moderators: Chuckt, Garth, bitfogav

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Seeed Studio Factory

Post by Chuckt » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:34 am

Garth
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Re: Seeed Studio Factory

Post by Garth » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:50 pm

Our company had our own thru-hole assembly equipment; but since going to SMT, we've always farmed the assembly out. I've seen the equipment working at the industry trade shows though. It's very impressive how fast and accurate the machines are. My next PCB layout for work will probably put parts on both sides. This will be the first time I've put more than just a few parts on the back.
http://WilsonMinesCo.com/ lots of 6502 resources

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by brad » Thu May 04, 2017 8:39 pm

I must admit, i've never seen how they actually get SMD components to stick on both sides of a PCB. It's easy enough to use a reflow oven with components on one side, but if you try and flip the board over and put components on the other side, the components then fall off the first side...

Garth
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Garth » Fri May 05, 2017 5:50 am

I believe they put a tiny spot of epoxy under the parts (especially the ones that are too heavy to be held on by the surface tension of the solderpaste or molten solder), and let it cure before putting the board in the oven. The epoxy goes between pads so it doesn't interfere with the electrical connections. In the case of BGAs or something where there's no place for a spot of epoxy, that side might have to only be on the top in the oven, or maybe tiny parts will be held in place by the surface tension of the solder the second time the board is in the oven.

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Sat May 06, 2017 10:00 pm

That makes sense Garth, I wonder if they are able to extract some sort of 'glue' placement information from the gerber files, or if they have to make it up themselves at the factory?

Garth
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Garth » Sun May 07, 2017 4:31 am

I expect it is derived from the XYRS file, ie, the spreadsheet file you supply to the assembly house that tells the exact part to put in each place, along with X and Y coordinates and rotation (what angle to put it at), and which side of the board to put it on.